• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest c2swb

Cv Boot Replacement

Guest c2swb

hi

whats the best method to replace the os front outer cv boot/gaiter, do you have to remove all the drive shaft or can you replace it in situ, and how is the outer cv joint attached to the drive shaft is there a circlip involved or does it just need a good knock/tap to remove.

pug_ham

You can replace the cv boot with the driveshaft still fitted to the car but you have to remove it from the hub.

The driveshafts are one piece so you need a cone or cv boot stretcher to get the boot over the joint & then turn it back over the joint & strap it in place.

The best stretchy boot kits I've used are AMK Flexiboot CBK24 which has everything you need, grease, boot (need trimming to fit the outrt joint) & two straps.

Graham.

Guest c2swb

cheers

where or who sells these cv boots and the cone to fit them.

Chris H

If you just give the cv outer a good hit it will come off the snap ring and you can take the whole joint off, then just fit the boot.

5min job once you have the cv out of the hub.

welshpug

I do it like Chris does, so much quicker.

I dont like to use stretchy boots as they seem to be a bit flimsy, o.e boots are of a much thicker sturdy material.

pug_ham

I got the cone off ebay iirc & get the bootkits from my local motor factors.

If you just give the cv outer a good hit it will come off the snap ring and you can take the whole joint off, then just fit the boot.

That only works on 1.9 GTi driveshafts though doesn't it?

Graham.

Guest c2swb

forgot to mention it is a 1.9, so can you tap/knock these cv joints off? I'd prefer to do it by this method if its possible.

Guest c2swb
forgot to mention it is a 1.9, so can you tap/knock these cv joints off? I'd prefer to do it by this method if its possible.

anybody any idea.

haynes manual is a bit vague about 1.9 drive shafts.

Sign in to follow this