• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SAMSMITH

Gearbox Problems Again!

SAMSMITH

despite both being a lift into gear beside first the gearboxd on my car (90) and the box i got off of steve are different. the clutch arms are different :angry:

so i need to find another box. i know where there is one but it is £60. stupid money pit car!

and somone who has had this car along the line doesnt know f***all as half the bolts are missing for things :D

whats the deal with so many differnet gearboxes? let me know if you have one

Miles

You;ve got i guess a Mi16 BE1 box as this has the lift reverse and later BE3 style clutch arm, So any BE3 box will suit you down to the ground, just remove the reverse cable to swap between BE1 and BE3,

On the very rare occasion it might be what I did to my CTi, use the BE3 arm in a BE1 box as it makes the clutch a whole lot nicer to use.

SAMSMITH

mi16?

the car is a 1.6. youve confused me a little bit there, and my dad (ex pug mechanic)

booth gearboxes i have are off of a 1.6 and are both lift reverse next to first gear so as far as i though both BE1.... BUT the clutcj arms are differnet so wont fit without buying more parts. which i dont want. all i want is to swap the whole thing and not have to piss about with things.

how many different tpyes of gearbox where there?

steve@cornwall
despite both being a lift into gear beside first the gearboxd on my car (90) and the box i got off of steve are different. the clutch arms are different :angry:

so i need to find another box. i know where there is one but it is £60. stupid money pit car!

and somone who has had this car along the line doesnt know f***all as half the bolts are missing for things :D

whats the deal with so many differnet gearboxes? let me know if you have one

Can you get a pic. of the different arms? It's a new one on me that there are different be1 'boxes, Is there also a difference in the bolt on piece that carries the clutch cable? Can you change the arms over? The 'box was from an "87 CTI, and certainly no different to any other BE1 'box I've had.( From all age cars, '85 - '90)

SAMSMITH

photo0275.jpg in the car

out the car

photo0274.jpg

SAMSMITH

if thats be3 why is it a lift into reverse to the left of 1st gear?

luggy

Sorry to hear about your gearbox troubles. Saw you last weekend driving throught Colebrook, cars' looking good :) .

brianthemagical

the clutch arms are, i think as i've done it to a late be3, interchangable, so it's either an mi box or has been changed for fun at some point in it's life.

steve@cornwall
photo0275.jpg in the car

out the car

photo0274.jpg

Sounds like Miles is right on the money, bottom picture is a be3 arm - not used in the 205 gti with lift up reverse, I believe. It would also explain less than impressive acceleration. IIRC, the difference with the cables is that the BE3 has more slack between inner and outer, so can be used on the BE1 by fitting spacers between the arm and adjusters. All you need to make the BE1 work is a couple of spacers (the rubber top- hat spacers from another clutch cable are ideal) and the small pin for the clutch arm, for which dimensions have been posted here a few times.

SAMSMITH

miles said the top was a be3 now you just aid the bottom is a be3? so i am even more confused!

so what is the top picture as this is what is in the car and HAS lift up and revers

the bottom is the box that was ment to go in and also the box i have a clutch for> what is it and will it fit without bodging or buying new parts?

also how could the box possibly affect my acceleration? just curious

steve@cornwall
miles said the top was a be3 now you just aid the bottom is a be3? so i am even more confused!

so what is the top picture as this is what is in the car and HAS lift up and revers

the bottom is the box that was ment to go in and also the box i have a clutch for> what is it and will it fit without bodging or buying new parts?

also how could the box possibly affect my acceleration? just curious

HI!

MY bad, Sam- should have read TOP pic, not bottom :)

The MI 16 gearbox is a sort of BE1 / BE3 hybrid which yours seems to be fitted with - it will be geared for a car with about 50bhp more than yours. Its a bit like a mountain bike. Tall gears will move you faster....IF you have the strength in your legs to move it properly, otherwise its more of a struggle to get going. It's also why many of us use the 1.6 'box with a 1.9 engine , better 0 -60 at the expense of high rpm / mph (reverse scenario to what yours seems to be)

It's not really a bodge to add shims to the clutch cable - there's already some spacers / washer fitted after all and your not affecting the way it works at all. There is a possibility that a suitable cable exists off the shelf.....but I'd not fancy the chances of my local pug parts dept. getting it right.

As said, a few shims and the rod that sits between the two clutch arms on the BE1 is all that you need to get going - the difference in the car with the right 'box in it will be amazing.

SAMSMITH

ok now only problem is my dad thinks that there is bits off of the be1 missing. thats why we couldnt ahcnge the two, im dunno about it all as hes the mechanic but i assume what would have happened is wed get these bits from the box thats in there

Miles

The box isn't a Mi16 one as the ribbing is wrong, So I'm not up on 405 boxes but it could well be one of those maybe even a derv box, until it's stripped there's no way of telling unless the labels still on it by the Diff cover, or as I;ve said it may have been covered to use the later arm, but I;ve only seen this on mine as I did that.

The lower pic of the BE1 box is a very early one as it's got the fillier plug in the end casing, The part missing but this normally would just get swaped over from the old box is the arm which just transfer the leverage from the clutch cable, It's a 'L' shape

Easy way is to find a BE3 box and use that, Direct fit as the clutch release bearing is different between the 2 as well

SAMSMITH

went to my local peugeot garage. they were about to thorw out the clutch cable i need so got that for free. got the lever i need, got the bolt i need (fell in my pocket at the scrappy) got the bushes. now i need to make a replacemnet for the little nylon washer and i am waiting for the pin that goes in which im getting monday!

SAMSMITH

pretty much all in now. two new driveshafts so hopefully no more knocking and the new clutch and box are in place. now needs the cable run in, the pin we are missing and thats it i think

Sign in to follow this