• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fulani

What Calipers Do I Have?

fulani

I need to change the front discs and front & rear pads on my car, and until I can afford the full rebuild I want to do for next trackday season, I'd like to have a bash at changing the pads myself.

Firstly, I need to know what sort of calipers I have. It's a 1988 phase 1.5 1.9 GTI, currently running Mintex 1144s. I'm going to change them for some Pagid Fast Road pads from GSF, I think - they seem a lot cheaper than the Mintex ones, and will do for the winter commute.

Do I have Bendix calipers, Girling or Textar? I've never even heard of the third one! :angry:

Guest smokinslim

Girling up front, Bendix at the rear.

fulani
Girling up front, Bendix at the rear.

Many thanks - order placed!

fulani

Ok, next question....

Do I need any special tools to change discs and pads? I have the Haynes manual, and it doesn't mention anything, but of course we all know how they can oversimplify stuff.

Miles

Not at all, 13mm, 17mm spanner and a 19mm socket (later car's sometime's use a cap head) to take the carrier off to change the disc, Get some thread lock thou when putting it back together

fulani
Not at all, 13mm, 17mm spanner and a 19mm socket (later car's sometime's use a cap head) to take the carrier off to change the disc, Get some thread lock thou when putting it back together

Cheers - can I bring it all to you when I bugger it up? :D

Will be a good chance to use the new tools I got for my birthday I guess. Prepare for some pictures of me getting it spectacularly wrong. :angry:

Sign in to follow this