• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Type Of Place To Have Tracking Done?

jackherer

I properly aligned my 205 myself today on a supertrak 4 wheel laser aligner and the difference is night and day, I am amazed at the difference such a small change can make. And the important point to note is my tracking wasn't out as such and 95% (at least) of places that do tracking would have said it was fine. It drove in a straight line, the steering wheel was straight and the tyre wear was normal and even.

The previous time it was done at a tyre place I specifically asked them to center the rack and ignore the position of the steering wheel as it was almost certainly wrong which they claimed to do and took £35 from me for doing. It turns out they had set the toe to parallel and moved the center point of the rack a bit so I had to reposition the wheel to be straight when going forward but then when I checked to see if the wheel was at the same angle at either extreme of lock I found it wasn't and the handling of the car, while improved, was still not right. I would have preferred them to admit they weren't sure of the concepts involved rather than taking my money and humouring me but now I've done it myself I am never going to let anyone near my cars track rod ends ever again.

This time I adjusted it in small amounts, adding a bit on one side and removing the same amount from the opposite side until it had exactly the same lock left to right, then I refitted the steering wheel straight with the rack absolutely 100% correctly centered. It was only out by a small amount beforehand (no more than a degree or two of extra turns of the steering wheel to the right) but as soon as I drove it at slow speeds over a bumpy car park I knew it was much better. Before the wheel would try to wrench itself left and right as the suspension compressed due to the mismatched track rod length and now it holds steady. At higher speeds it feels like a 205 should once more, the weight of the steering is identical when turned to the left or the right and it doesn't feel like its trying to steer itself off the road when it hits an undulating surface.

McPikie
OK folks, big thanks to Toddy, and for everyones advice here :)

Just spoken to Oliver at Phoenix and its booked in for 9am Monday.

So Simon, what's the script and how does she handle now?

I properly aligned my 205 myself today on a supertrak 4 wheel laser aligner and the difference is night and day, I am amazed at the difference such a small change can make. At higher speeds it feels like a 205 should once more, the weight of the steering is identical when turned to the left or the right and it doesn't feel like its trying to steer itself off the road when it hits an undulating surface.

Mine is exactly the same, doesnt help I have a worn ball joint or hub on the front nearside B)

So, basically, take the car somewhere knowledgable, spend the time to talk things through with them, and hang around to learn/brew up for them?

welshpug

all sounds very good, I can understand why someone would want to go to these lengths to get it right as it just spoils the handling due to it being so direct and having so much feedback.

does anyone know of any such centres in South wales/bristol area? or what kind of setup I need to look for?

Dream Weaver

Car is excellent now, turns in better, feels very stable and feels quicker to turn in as well.

The new tyres probably help that as well. Haven't used it since Oulton though as it needs a good clean, and its been too wet.

sutol

Thought I'd put in my two penneth,

Lost faith in 4 wheel laser tracking about 10 years ago when some bod who couldn't be told set my Mini up on his fancy machine. The nearside trailing arm was bent which he failed to spot and he set the front toeing in which meant that turning right at any speed nearly spun the car round.

I knew about the bent arm, all I wanted was the front tracking setting and he got that wrong because set the front aligning with the rear , whatever that might mean.

Anyway I bought a drive over tracking device which I use for fronts and rear and which has saved me loads.

What is right for your car anyway, the old man is right, modern tolerances from the factory make every car different so if we are talking fine measurements here which car is going to be spot on ?

Has anyone tried altering the tracking both front and/or rear to see what improvements can be made to a fast road car.?

I know that BL set the Mini up to be safe in the hands of an idiot, and that for instance resetting the rear toe transformed the handling, can small changes to the 205 make beneficial differences or are we already as near as dammit as far as we can go. Is the front toed in for safetys sake or is it crap when you change it?

I know that now I have a 205 all to myself that I will be experimenting will all sorts next year B)

jackherer
Mine is exactly the same, doesnt help I have a worn ball joint or hub on the front nearside B)

You have to fix ANY play before you get an alignment done otherwise as soon as the car moves off the ramp it will shift and the alignment will be out again.

jonnie205

i have the dunlop mirror ones, perfectly accurate

Sign in to follow this