• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
paul205mi16

Fitting Front Uprated Suspension.

paul205mi16

Hi all.

My car is fitted with eibach pro kit 7001 springs & spax struts including group N top mount rubbers, All of which are brand new.. (Should be about 30mm/3cm lower than standard)

I have not cut the bump stops which are the origional (GTI suspension) and the ride is very harsh with only small bumps in the road, A pot hole would be a major spine braking incident!.. I mean it's not too bad on smooth tarmac, But anything else is horrible.

How far do I cut the front rubber bumpstops down when lowerering?

What have others done with the same set up?

thanks.

Paul.

brianthemagical

i think i'm right in saying that the std bumbstops should be cut down by the drop height.

Rippthrough

They shouldn't be cut.

tom_m

the bump stops won't affect the ride quality. they are there to stop the damper from slamming closed which damages the internals. cutting them will stop them doing their job.

the stiffness of the ride is dictated by the damping and spring rates.

brianthemagical

my gmax springs had a piece of pper in the box explaning that the bump stops should be cut down.

Rippthrough
my gmax springs had a piece of pper in the box explaning that the bump stops should be cut down.

Only if you want to knock the pistons off the damper shafts.

welshpug

GMAX and Spax are renowned for their harsh and crashy ride, which some people would class as "sporty" Bollarks!

And as Phill says, DONT cut the bump-stops unless you want to pop the piston out through the bottom of the damper :angry:

paul205mi16

Yeah they are SPAX dampers on the front and rear, They doo seem very harsh, but I'm sure i read somewhere in the past that the bumpstops was surposed tobe cut down slightly!?

I figured that there was not enough suspension travel because the standard bumpstops don't allow it. Think I'll have to go for some new front dampers, i've heard lots of talk on here about Billies, "What was it now" Sportline/Sprintline.

Thanks.

As long as I know if I should cut them or not, It was a bit of a job to compress the eibach springs to fit using the spax dampers.

Paul.

welshpug

I wouldnt cut bumpstops ever, the dampers are supposed to be more progressive and shouldnt be hitting the stops that hard.

Bilstein is a good choice, STREET line is the cheaper kit (Black damper body,B4 is the series designation, gas and oil, one step up from the B2 O.E kits),

works well with the Eibach springs, but avoid the STREET line rear dampers, go for Peugeot originals here.

if you can afford it though go for the SPRINT line kit ( Yellow damper body, B6 series, Large diameter inverted piston IIRC, gas an oil again)

GTI6BOY

dont cut the bump stops

done this on my brand new konis and within a week they were fcuked, luckly sent them back for a full refund

Batfink

Buy bilstein and this issue will not crop up. All yellow coloured bilsteins have internal bumpstops :)

Pob
Buy bilstein and this issue will not crop up. All yellow coloured bilsteins have internal bumpstops :wub:

Can you get Polyurethane Bump stops from anywhere?

Thanks,

Dan

tom_m
Can you get Polyurethane Bump stops from anywhere?

Thanks,

Dan

powerflex do a universal set i think

jord294

alright paul.

it's a good thing i'm relatively local to ya.

i've got a few sets of universal bumpstops spare which came with my pi suspension kit.

let me know if your interested

Sign in to follow this