• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamVester

Thermostat Broken?

AdamVester

ok well car was fine the other day no problems at all... today i take it out and it overheats temp just keeps on going up.. i cruse down a hill in N and it is still rising.. i stop turn engine off call down.. check radiator and its stone cold.. first i think ummm bloked water pipe (air lock or something)... check bleed system and still same problem.. then i check the thermostat and its bent... so try running the car without it and its fine... so yep the problem was the thermostat... but the question is why was it bent.. how is it possible..? any ideas anyone. surly they shouldnt just bend and brake? this is in a 1.9 8v with a 1.6box and a K&N Induction kit.. everything else is standard and the engines just had a rebuild.

mickie

heats bent it i'd of though, very old is it?

AdamVester

yeah it was old ill try get a picture of it althought i dont think you will see the bend in the pic its very slight but its enough to cripple it. just strange how it got bent... didnt think the gti was that hot... i did take it out for a good spin the night befor it broke mind and also did a 100mile trip the day befor..

richosabroard

as long as the thermostat was not bent when fitted then thermostats fail due to old age and lack of antifreeze changes which causes the antifreeze to turn acidic and slowly rot away the inside of the cooling system so that may weeken the thermostat which would cause it to bend if it was old. antifreeze should be replaced every 2 years on most cars.

Edited by richosabroard

AdamVester

guess its time to replace mine then as it was stood for a year befor i had it lol... opppppppps

Sign in to follow this