• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

I Hate Be1 Gearboxes!

Pob

I removed the gearbox today to replace the clutch, all was going well until I reattached it, bolted it up and checked the clutch... The thrust bearing moved on the arm, removed the box, re-aligned the thrust bearing, reattached the gearbox and tested it again, same thing happened. I've removed the gearbox again, but got mardy and gave up for today. Oh and to top if off, I damaged the radiator with the gearbox so now I need a new rad :)

Is there any tips to stop the arm moving on the thrust bearing. Is there anything I could be doing wrong?

Many Thanks,

Dan

t16ryan

Cable tie it away or wedge it so it cant move when you fit the box?

jackherer

Just have another go in the morning, with a fresh head it'll go straight on. I always have to take five minutes for a cup of tea/cigarette before I put gearboxes back on or I just get angry and the release bearing moves.

Pob
Just have another go in the morning, with a fresh head it'll go straight on. I always have to take five minutes for a cup of tea/cigarette before I put gearboxes back on or I just get angry and the release bearing moves.

Thanks for the replies, I got so angry with it at the time... working in the dark didn't make things easy. I cabled tied it the first time, but I think I moved it when bolting it on. I bolted it in the bolt hole behind the arm, think I must of knocked it.

Aslong as the gearbox is tight against the engine, It won't fall off? So I should really leave the bolt behind the arm till last, so I don't dislodge it...

I see why they changed the design, what a pile of cak lol

Many Thanks,

Dan

welshpug

try a SMALL dab of superglue :)

jerseypug

mine did the same and i managed to get it back on by loosening the bolts and and pulling the gearbox away about 20mm then using a screwdriver through the clutch arm hole to re fit it.

welshpug
mine did the same and i managed to get it back on by loosening the bolts and and pulling the gearbox away about 20mm then using a screwdriver through the clutch arm hole to re fit it.

done that too :) though you do need quite slim hands :)

Pob
done that too :) though you do need quite slim hands :)

Thanks for all the tips, I'm giving it another go tomorrow and let you know how it goes

Thanks again,

Dan

Pob
Thanks for all the tips, I'm giving it another go tomorrow and let you know how it goes

Thanks again,

Dan

After fitting and removing the gearbox 6 times I figured out what the problem was, the rubber donut fell off the arm... so everytime I went to fit it, the arm fell off :) Sorted not, drilled a hole through it and bolted it to the arm

Thanks for all your help, been a great help

Dan

Sign in to follow this