• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

206 180 Set Up

TaffyTim

I have the 206 180 set up on my car and i need new pads.

When investigating on this site the search comes up with nothing under '206' and the guide on the main page says that the composer didnt have experience with the uprated pads on trackdays.

Most of my driving will be on the road and i will occasionally have track use.

Will i need to make the step up to mintex 1144's or will the standard pads be fine?

chownr

Standard pads will be fine. Maybe think about uprating fluid to something like Motul RBF600. rich

TaffyTim

New pads went on today and its nice to be able to stop again :)

What effect will uprated brake juice have?

Miles

Not much until it's pushed hard on Track, But the fluid should be changed once a yr providing your Nipples are OK!!

The other thing with 206 and 307 caliper's the pads are a silly price

Rippthrough
Not much until it's pushed hard on Track, But the fluid should be changed once a yr providing your Nipples are OK!!

The other thing with 206 and 307 caliper's the pads are a silly price

About £65 for my 1144's IIRC

Bonzai

standard pads are fine for a lap of the ring i can confirm ;)

kyepan

ferrodo ds2500's were nearly a hundred quid ex vat (with some discount) but are simply awesome, more so when warm. (ps, the gti180 uses the same discs, pads and calipers as the 307 HDI 283mm kit.)

Super Josh

I went from 1144s to standard pads on '6 Calipers and couldn't handle the lack of bit and feel, so went straight back to 1144s again. This is for a daily driver, don't think I could do standard pads again TBH.

Josh

TaffyTim

So what happens with the wrong brake fluid at prolonged heavy use? More brake peddle travel or a lack of braking or something else???

The pads I got came in at £40.19 + vat on part number 425222.

The parts man didnt have a clue which pad was the right one but one of the mechanics was sure these were correct. They fit in correctly and have the same number on them as the ones that came out but have less surface area on the bottom of the pad, If anyone can confirm i have the right pads in that would be nice as i dont think the price is too bad.

What was so bad josh? With my setup i haven't had any brake fade and there is plenty of stopping power with the standard pads. Why were your standard pads so scary?

pdd144c
standard pads are fine for a lap of the ring i can confirm :)

Really?!

Super Josh
What was so bad josh? With my setup i haven't had any brake fade and there is plenty of stopping power with the standard pads. Why were your standard pads so scary?

The standard pads are fine, it's just that the initial bit and feel of the 1144's is so much better that it felt like a downgrade going back to normal.

chownr

If you have reduced pad area the pads are for the smaller engine sized 307s - I think the 1.6. The 206 GTi 180 and 307 HDi have a larger pad area.

I have been using the smaller size pad for over 2 years as its the only size that EBC do Greenstuff in which are also cost effective at about £30 a set from GSF with discount card. It shouldnt affect performance but you will have to stick with this size pad until you change the discs. having said that I have had the same discs on my rally car for 2 years without hardly any wear.

If your brakes work and you are happy with their performance I wouldnt worry too much.

Josh on your std pads how did you bed them in? Ive found that until youve really put a decent heat cycle or two through the pads they can feel absolutely terrible.

Rich

Bonzai
Really?!

well they were fine for me. Im no driving god, but my passenger did say that in his opinion i wasn't hanging about. I expect they would fade quicker on a smaller circuit with a longer session, but 1 ring lap was fine for me

TaffyTim
If you have reduced pad area the pads are for the smaller engine sized 307s - I think the 1.6. The 206 GTi 180 and 307 HDi have a larger pad area.

I have been using the smaller size pad for over 2 years as its the only size that EBC do Greenstuff in which are also cost effective at about £30 a set from GSF with discount card. It shouldnt affect performance but you will have to stick with this size pad until you change the discs. having said that I have had the same discs on my rally car for 2 years without hardly any wear.

If your brakes work and you are happy with their performance I wouldnt worry too much.

Josh on your std pads how did you bed them in? Ive found that until youve really put a decent heat cycle or two through the pads they can feel absolutely terrible.

Rich

The surface area of the new pads is only different by a corner cut out on either side of the bottom of the pad (ie the south east and southwest corners). The pad does cover the same depth and therefore the same area on the discs but the old ones had a longer stretch of compound on the bottom.

You are bloody right on the bedding in of these pads. After 200 miles on the motorway they were still giving me terrible vibrations under braking. another hundred or two and they are all smooth now.

Sign in to follow this