• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tricky76

Power Steering Mod

Guest Tricky76

Hi all,

New to the forums and relatively new to 205 GTi ownership having just taken delivery of an immaculate 1.9 in Graphite Grey. The only thing that has taken me by surprise is the heavy steering, which might cause a problem for the Mrs whilst parking. I was wondering :

- Is it relatively easy to fit power steering?

- Are there certain pumps from certain cars that are best for the job?

- Would it ruin the feel of the car?

- Should we just start doing weights?

Thanks in advance.

brianthemagical

i take it you don't have powersteering fitted?

if not then the best place to start is a 205gti with powersteering, try the forsale or wanted forums, when you can.

Dream Weaver

I had PAS on mine, removed it but didn't like it, and have now put it back on and am much happier.

You won't notice it much at speed, but when parking or on roundabouts/tight bends its very good.

You will need a PAS steering rack and all the gubbins - easy enough to fit.

VisaGTi16v

Check the top mount bearings and all that first. My non pas 205 is FAR heavier than my Visa which has a pas rack with the pump removed so its 1 turn less lock to lock. It should be the other way round!

Guest Tricky76

Thanks for the help all - being a newbie I assumed they all came without PAS but it's clear we have options now.

The Mrs has developed Popeye arms in the 2 days she's been using the car, and the smile on her face when she got back from work today suggests we might leave it as is for now in case we ruin a good thing. Or maybe she's just not telling me something........ :lol:

brianthemagical

personlly i like my power steering, it's not to bad for feel and all that, but even itcan be a bit of a handful, thats with new top mounts. i think it's nearly perfect, fine for one handed driving, just about adequet speed and a nice bit of weight, i can still tell what the fronts dong, within the realms of my skill.

Dream Weaver

I agree, and mine has brand new everything up front - top mount kits, wishbones, d/links, struts etc

Main problem with PAS is that they leak :) although fingers crossed mine is sorted now - will know once I stop the oil leak from the engine. :)

kilauea

What tyres you got on it? I have a non-pas 1.9 (and have previously owned a pas 1.9) with 195 tyres on it and it is heavy at slow speeds.

As suggested mine is getting new top mounts and also going back to 185 tyres, should be slightly better then.

Peetypug

if its imaculate.........

then what the hell is your mrs doing driving it!!!!!! :lol::lol:

it will be an instant ban for my wife when mines done!!!(unless we go to the pub and she doesnt drink ;) ) (and when its finally done, if it gets done :) )

mid-life crisis

I prefer non-PAS for petrol versions but much prefer PAS for the diesel one. Very nicely weighted the steering is on the diesel model.

Sign in to follow this