• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

Mi16 No Spark

24seven

ok so now we're getting a spark. turns out there was no live feed to the amp or coil from the ignition switch, so I piggybacked it straight from the coil to the +ve on the battery (temporary, just to get the thing to start!)so now the ign amp and coil are all plugged in right.

When I turn the ignition on 2 clicks, and good powerful spark comes from the coil to the dizzy when there's a plug in there. when turning over, the spark starts stron, but diminishes quickly. Is this synonymous with a duff coil or could it be the capacitor? If the latter, where is the cap?

24seven

ok it's deffo not the coil as I tried a known good one and there's no improvement. the fuel system is pressurising but the plugs are still dry after countless attempts at firing it up, so now I'm gonna inspect the fuel system.

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know! frustration is doing my nut in here!

pee vee

There are 2 relays, 1 for the spark, one for the fuel... if neither of yours are working, it sounds like you are missing them???

i can only say for a 3 row set up as that is what i have..

the relays are in their own holder on a seperate offshoot on the main ECU loom.. one brown relay, one green one... are they there? are they working?

24seven

found the problem. actually there were 2 problems. a knackered coil and the fuel rail plumbed in backwards (doh!). started it up for the first time today, and after a couple of turns it fired up as if it had never been standing, and idled smoothly with no tapping (at 3k rpm, but the manifold-downpipe isn't joined and the idle control screw is stuck). It's also making good pressure, almost topping out the guage (I've not run it long enough to warm up yet).The engine was 8months out of a car when I bought it back in april/may time, so I'm fairly confident that I've got a good lump here :wacko:.

Thanks for all the help everyone. all that's left is to tidy up the the loose ends one by one and we're all set.

Edited by 24Seven

Guest MattyC

hi all

I am currently having difficulties trying to get an mi16 to spark so thought i would bring this thread back to life.

I have done the most of the conversion, the wiring has been a bit of a nightmare but i think its getting close.

the engine turns over but wont start.

I have taken a spark plug out and used jump leads to earth it, is this correct? there is no spark.

when i take the plug off the top of the coil there is 4 wires. 1=0.5V 2=10v 3=12v 4=0.5v

i have tried a different coil and it made no difference, the dissy cap, arm, leads and plugs are all new so no probs there.

i have no idea what the engine was out of or its age. The connectors on the engine are white so Miles has informed me it may be from a citroen.

There is a blue wire containing 2 seperate wires, (one copper, one steel colour) any ideas what these do?

Oh an when i turn the ignition on the brown relay clicks, the green one does not.

hope someone can shed some light on it.

many thanks

Matt

yorkshirekowboy
hi all

I am currently having difficulties trying to get an mi16 to spark so thought i would bring this thread back to life.

I have done the most of the conversion, the wiring has been a bit of a nightmare but i think its getting close.

the engine turns over but wont start.

I have taken a spark plug out and used jump leads to earth it, is this correct? there is no spark.

when i take the plug off the top of the coil there is 4 wires. 1=0.5V 2=10v 3=12v 4=0.5v

i have tried a different coil and it made no difference, the dissy cap, arm, leads and plugs are all new so no probs there.

i have no idea what the engine was out of or its age. The connectors on the engine are white so Miles has informed me it may be from a citroen.

There is a blue wire containing 2 seperate wires, (one copper, one steel colour) any ideas what these do?

Oh an when i turn the ignition on the brown relay clicks, the green one does not.

hope someone can shed some light on it.

many thanks

Matt

hello, mate im having the smae problem, did you find out what it was?

cheers

danny

Sign in to follow this