• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

Mi16 No Spark

24seven

Finally got my Mi16 ready to start, But there's no spark on any of the leads. I've checked the coil for continuity through the 4 plugs going into it and there's a connection between any combo of the 4 points, but how do I check whether there's anything going into it, as I'm a little paranoid the SCU might be dead.

Engine turns over and fuel is getting through

All expected lights on the dash come on

None of the 4 leads are sparking at all, and there's nothing coming out of the coil.

Alastairh

Got a multimeter?

Test that your getting 12v to the coil by taking the plug off the coil and see if anything is going to it.

You have all your gear box earth mounts on nice and clean?

Just go round it like a cycle and chuck another ignition amp on next :)

Should give more of an indication.

Al

24seven

yup all earths are spot on. I'll try putting a multimeter to the coil plug and turning it over then next, cheers.

24seven

shows nothing :):(:blush:

The ign amp I'm using is the one that was in the car with the XU5, and it worked then. I assumed I'd be right in thinking the Mi16 could use the same amp, or am I wrong?

Edited by 24Seven

Alastairh

Should be fine :)

welshpug
shows nothing :):(:blush:

The ign amp I'm using is the one that was in the car with the XU5, and it worked then. I assumed I'd be right in thinking the Mi16 could use the same amp, or am I wrong?

if its a 1.9 yes, 2.0 no. have you got the one for the new engine or any spares?

it sounds like you're not getting power to the coil at all though, which would be tachy relay I think.

24seven

it's a 1.9. The engine came as just an engine plus ancillaries and half a loom, but I'm very confident in the loom being right after mating it to the Xu5 loom. Where is the tachy relay usually? I've got the ECU and a fusebox mounted on a bracket circling the expansion tank.

welshpug

on a car of that age its usually bolted next to the original 8v ecu, IIRC wire 112A comes off the relay and goes to the AMP and the coil (it changes to wire 3 in the loom If I remember)

24seven

ok so I found 2 relays loose in the drivers footwell, a white one with 3 plugs and a black one with 7.

black:

87b

the white one had wire 33 going into it and 2 other un-numbered ones.

welshpug

black 7 pin one it is, the white one is the lights on warning buzzer.

24seven

ok cool, thanks. Can't find the ruddy plug for it now!

welshpug

DOH! so its not plugged in then? or are you using the bit brown Double relay?

either way some wires from the tachy relay are required :)

24seven

it's not plugged in. I vaguely remember seeing it next to the ECU under the drivers side of the dash, but can't find a plug for it anywhere in the car! The Mi16 ecu lives in the engine bay next to the expansion tank and there aren't any plugs for it there either. I've tried chasing the 14 and 9 pin plugs through the dash as well with no luck.

24seven

I'm stumped! absolutely no idea where this thing is!

welshpug

what did you do with the 8v wiring loom? are you running the double relay? (big brown 15 pin relay)

24seven

I use the 2 under dash brown plugs & ecu plug from the 8v loom and matched them to the 16v loom (2 row). I've not seem a 15pin brown relay so I assume I don't have one.

24seven

where does the plug I'm looking for go to in the engine bay? I'll try tracing it back from there to see if I can find it.

24seven

4 hours later and I still can't find the sodding plug! this is ridiculous! Everything is set for me to finally have my Mi16 up and running, and there's a sodding plug gone AWOL with no explanation. Think I'm gonna give it up for tonight as the frustration is going to kill me.

24seven

Having re-read that guide, there's a part that says the tachy relay will be redundant with the 16v loom, so I spent the day stripping the dashboard looking for something that isn't there :).

Back to the problem, seems it may be an ECU problem after all. FRUSTRATION!

Edited by 24Seven

24seven

ok so tracing back where the spark comes from.

plug - dizzy - coil - ecu. What tells the ECU when to spark?

Also, which 2 pins are the power feed to the ECU on a 2 row unit? I'm not entirely sure it's even getting any power from anywhere at all.

taylorspug

Try a different crank sensor, different ecu, and give the relays and connections a bit of a wiggle on the spark side of things, as ive had a few problems like this that have turned into something as simple as a dry joint on a connector. ;)

gti_al

There are a few loom related things it could be... most have been covered.

When i converted mine i lost spark... and it turned out to be the earth that comes from the multiplug. I had no idea that it was even there, and i'm not convinced your conversion would be done like mine, but a dodgy connection there was causing ignition problems.

Peter T sent me an ignition troubleshooting guide, but i can't find it. It had a guide to pinpointing problems with a multimeter, and was quite useful. Maybe ask him nicely for it?

ifcho

You can try running live wire from the battery + to the ignition coil (or more likely to the comutator - i don't know how you call it in English, its a little black thing with a plug on it, located near the coil), just to make sure that you have 12V at the coil while cranking.

If you have modified the loom, you could have wired the + to the coil through a wire that does not get enough voltage while cranking.

24seven

Thanks for the help. I'll PM Peter T and try a new ECU. Anyone got a 2 row ECU to sell?

Sign in to follow this