• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Front Wheel Bearing

wildejon

I replaced a front wheel bearing last week, had it done at a local garage.

All looked good and I fitted it all back together today. However, the wheel still has some play in it when you wobble it top to bottom.

It seems highly unlikely to me that I have fitted one that was already damaged but it does seem that way.

Could it be attributable to anything else?

Thanks in advance

Jon

welshpug

oval balljoint pin hole in the hub is a possibility if the bearing is new, check that the hub nut is tight, as the bearing will creep apart if its not done up and you force it about.

wildejon

The hub nut isn't REALLY tight yet.... I'll try that first.

When I had a look at the bearing just sitting in the hub it did seem to have some play in it, maybe it does just need tightening up, I can't really get my head around how it all clamps together.

Will check the balljoint hole if I have no luck with that.

Cheers

wildejon

Ok, now the hub nut is as tight as I can get it.

Did it up to 210 Nm with my torque wrench (that is its maximum) then kept going with a wrench until the wheel just span, can't get it any tighter unless I have someone to apply the brake, should be tight enough though, I've never had to do that before.

The clunking does seem to be higher than the ball joint and I can't actually wobble the hub carrier, it is deffo the hub moving. I have no clue what to do now, could anything have been done wrong when the bearing was installed? Very frustrating!

Sign in to follow this