• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sloppy

S16 Engine Tapping, Low Oil Pressure?

Sloppy

got an s16 now which i might break, got it with a tappng engine, tis quite loud but does not sound fatal, also if you rev the car its gets louder then it can disappear for a few secs and sound sweet then it returns tapping again

I was thinking oil starvation as maybe whn revved the oil pressure builds then it stops but if you hold the revs on it still taps and when you let off it then stops for a few secs and sounds fine

but where and why, has anyone had this before, i was told it was the bottom end but im not convinced really as if it was bottom end it would tap all the time regaurdless.

sounds more like its the back of the head, removed the rocker cover and there no scratched cams and theres plenty of oil about, but i could not see oil hols in the oil bars on the back of the head, do they have em there?

sounds like somthing easily remidy IF someone has come across before or i will spend forever swapping stuff till it works right and when it does stop tapping it sound spot on!

Any help would be great many thnks

Joe

Sloppy

hummm just read through matt-k's thread, think i will take the sump off on monday to have a look and see it there traces of damage and inspect shells.

Sloppy

it did spinn a shell as matt's did no.3 cylinder i think .

DamirGTI

Hi !

Well me thinks - cracked exhaust manifold or blown manifold gaskets or leaky mesh ring on manifold to down pipe joint ... I've had a lot of similar problems with XU9 8v engines , and it sounds a bit like bad valve clearances - tappet sound , and the sound often varies , goes louder-quiet and disappear when engine gets hot or cold down a little bit (engine coolant temp. when driving ..) sometimes sound varies or disappear with rmp etc. and i was also p***t off because of this annoying sound , was happening on my old engines and now on my new reconditioned engine ! I've been looking all over the engine (was checking if the valve clearances are wrong adjusted but it was all fine , then was checking the alternator if maybe he's making this noise but was also fine , flywheel if it's rubbing on something , injectors etc. etc. ...) and it always turns out to be either crack in the exhaust manifold or blowing out from the manifold to head joint - I've remove the exhaust manifold gaskets and few of them was black/blown on the end corners ..

Worth to check if you like and it's not so hard to remove/refit the exhaust manifold ... :) (check the inlet manifold also for cracks or leaks around the gasket area..)

Cheers !

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

Sloppy

thanks DamirGTI (only response ;) ) but it did spin a shell

heres a pic

DSC01076.jpg

you can see the spun shells, beaten much bigger, compared to normal ones, smaller and look fine!

DSC01074.jpg

DSC01073.jpg

jonand

Join the spun shell club ;) . You will probably find that your crank is shot along with the relevant rod. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a crank, but S16 rods are harder to come by.

Regards

Jon

DamirGTI
but it did spin a shell

ouch ;)

Sloppy

yea found a crank, for £40 but i think im just gonna break it to be honest. Cant be bothered to starts rebuilding it, saving the engine for my mk2 405.

Sign in to follow this