• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
speedy

Gti 180 Engine In A 205?

speedy

So, I have one without the wiring on the side...... got my 205 gti...... got a brand new emerald ecu... is it possible to fit like an mi or impossible ? anybody tried doing it?

welshpug
Gti 180 Engine In A 205?

yep, not as straightforward as the XU transplant, but it has been done a few times.

speedy

Thanks for the reply :wacko:

Is there somewhere on the web I can find information about this?

a bit scared it won't be as good as power figures sugest...

j_turnell

Far easier just to put a gti-6 in it imo and you get very similar performance.

Powers

Hilgie is the best man for advice.

Regarding the ECU is that the top of the range one, as doesnt the 180 engine have VVT?

Baz

Yes the 180 engine is VVT. Somebody on PGAC has done it so i'm told, also someone has put one in a 405 in place of an Mi16.It has been asked before, do a search. :wacko:

speedy

i got the latest emerald ecu for another car ( integrale 16v) but since i got another 4 months without it i could use the ecu for the 205.

If i had a gti-6 i would put that one :) thing is i have a brand new! 206 gti 180 engine and box but without the ecu in my garage and a 2.0 mi16 as well without the ecu....

On paper the 206 engine seems loads better, the reviews on the 206 gti scared me a bit TBH

Tried the search but got nothing :huh:

I don't want to spend much on this since my other car is already taking all the cash and this is my daily drive! that i take weekly to the drag strip (i know, but it is the only track we have ) so i only taught about it to have some fun with all the integra type R that are common over here....

Hilgie

Speedy, I have done it and the original ECU and wiring should be discarded completely as it is full multiplex wiring. You'd have to transfer most of the 206 dash and other wiring as well.

Furthermore you need the gearbox that is fitted to the engine in the 206 as the BE boxes from XU engines sit at the wrong angle.

Oh...and you'd need to convert to cable operated gearchange and modify 2 engine mounts.

This is the one I did:

http://www.hilgertbos.com/gallery/marcvogels

speedy

Is it better than an mi16 in a 205? performance wise? worth it or not? I can fit a 2.0 mi16 instead with no problems, just need to know if it is worth it or not...

Thanks a lot hilgie :blush: as always :) very helpful

Speedy, I have done it and the original ECU and wiring should be discarded completely as it is full multiplex wiring. You'd have to transfer most of the 206 dash and other wiring as well.

Furthermore you need the gearbox that is fitted to the engine in the 206 as the BE boxes from XU engines sit at the wrong angle.

Oh...and you'd need to convert to cable operated gearchange and modify 2 engine mounts.

This is the one I did:

http://www.hilgertbos.com/gallery/marcvogels

Hilgie

In my opinion the 180 engine is worth it, the normal GTi engine isn't. Just fit an Mi then.

Remember that the 180 engine, with throttlebodies and all modifications might not look as good as any XU engine. But it is a very good engine. A good alternative might be the 2.2-16V engine (170bhp ish in standard form).

Sign in to follow this