• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Removing Abs, What's Involved.

Rupertfinch

Firstly I should declare that I'm typing while angry, so apologies, but I will be using the delete button liberally before I post this!

Failed the MOT again, despite all the money I pour into the little bucket of s*ite! New calipers all round, new discs all round, new hoses, new shocks aaaah!

Anyway, the little jumped up twat of a tester decided that my abs isn't working and thus failed me. On the sly I did have a relay added to the start up that extinguishes the abs light on ignition, this worked last time. Not this time. I could understand if a non-functioning abs was dangerous or my braking was crap as a result, but the thing nearly puts my teeth through the windscreen when I touch the anchors! Plus I've enough advanced driving training to know how to pump the brake as demonstrated from the skid marks left in a previous accident of mine!

So here it is, 2 choices.

1. Crash the little red f**ker into a wall and claim the insurance.

2. Get the abs ripped out.

I know that in the morning I would regret the first option (not to mention the loss of my NCB), so option 2 seems to be the best bet.

What's involved? And how much am I liable to spend as a result? Any responses would be greatfully received.

jonD6B

If it's fitted it needs to work. It's simple enough to do away with the ABS but might be easier and cheaper to just fix it? It won't cost alot though if you're handy with the spanners.

Edited by jonD6B

rescue dude

Did it fail because of the results when they put it on the rollers?

If you inform the MOT station that you have a LSD fitted they can not put it on the brake rollers and have to do a tapey test on it.

Rupertfinch

No the roller results were fine, it stopped well within tolerances. I think the eagle eyed git spotted the light on ignition start up, so took it for a quick lap around the test centre to try the brakes, then opened the bonnet and called me over to 'point out' the abs system!

Same twat failed me a couple of weeks before but back then he overlooked the abs system in his list of faults!

jonnie205

remove abs pump behind battery, make up all new brake lines, fit std MC remove wiring to boot mounted ecu, remove ECU in boot, quite a bit of work

Rupertfinch

balls!

Ryan

No need to remove the ECU, just tie the wiring out of the way. And you can keep the ABS master cylinder, just split each port with T-pieces.

Rupertfinch

Now that would seem like a much more acceptable solution. However, the MOT bloke gave me the impression that any trace of an abs system would need to be removed, particularly all the ecu gubbins behind the battery, infact pretty much what jonnie205 said.

Sign in to follow this