• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edthedrummer

1600gti Engine Modifications

edthedrummer

Having just won a 1.6Gti engine off of ebay with the view to rebuilding it in my garage over winter, I got talking to a lecturer at my college, who offered to let me use some of the engineering facilities in the college to do things to the head and block, such as porting and polishing the inlet and exhaust ports, so that they match perfectly with the manifolds, skimming the block to alter the compression ratio, and building a manifold to run throttle bodies with, as well as the possibility of megasquirt.

While i am not bothered either way, i feel it would be a good opportunity to see how you do these, but i was just wondering, how does the 1600 engine respond to these?

DamirGTI

Hi !

I've been doing all modifications on my car/engine by myself , head porting , rising CR , adjusting everything etc. etc. , and i'm very pleased with the end result :rolleyes:

Regarding the head porting you can read more here if you like :

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...l=inlet+porting

Cheers ! :(

Damir

edthedrummer

Thanks Damir, just had a look, pretty much what i want to do :rolleyes:

edthedrummer

bttt

Also, Are cams worth it on a 1600?

danpug

Depends how much power you want, what other mods your are doing and the type of cam you fit.

edthedrummer
Depends how much power you want, what other mods your are doing and the type of cam you fit.

I don't really have a figure i would like to achieve, Its purely an open question to see whats best for it, I've told you what mods i am able to do, the porting/polishing, skimming etc, i don't know what cams would be best to look for, or whether carbs are better than throttle bodies.

Guest Eurotrash

I belive the general rule is not to change cam unless you are either want to lose drivability at bottom end i.e its not gonna be used as an everyday car or if you intend to do some serious intake work for example switching to carbs or big TB's or anything that allows you to remove the standard AFM which will be cocked up when using cams that will have any real affect. And dont bother with most fast road cams as peugeot in there bid for more power fitted some sensible cams as standard and some after market ones ar exactly the same lift and duration as standard :rolleyes: so uynless you are doing some serious inlet modification dont bother with cams

edthedrummer
I belive the general rule is not to change cam unless you are either want to lose drivability at bottom end i.e its not gonna be used as an everyday car or if you intend to do some serious intake work for example switching to carbs or big TB's or anything that allows you to remove the standard AFM which will be cocked up when using cams that will have any real affect. And dont bother with most fast road cams as peugeot in there bid for more power fitted some sensible cams as standard and some after market ones ar exactly the same lift and duration as standard :) so uynless you are doing some serious inlet modification dont bother with cams

I read that only the other day on pumabuild or something similar, find it scandelous how big name companies can charge mega bucks for a cam thats the same as standard, but offer it as fast road.

Will stick with the standard for now.

Sign in to follow this