• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigb

Safety Check For Rally Rear Beams

Craigb

I did a club scatter a couple of weeks ago, during which I developed a knock at the rear when going over potholes etc. I thought that it may be a damper, so I stripped it all down.

What I found was quite alarming, and one to keep an eye out for, particularly the road rally/ stage rally guys out there.

The point where the rear beam mounts onto the rear of the car, usually where a rubber sandwich plate is in place, or in my case solid mounts had cracked on both sides of the mount. I have since welded a 3mm plate in position to beef it all up.

Just thought I would share this one as a precautionary check next time you strip down the rear dampers

pug_ham

Thanks Craig, I've got a mysterious knock on my car so I'll have to check this.

Any chance you could show on the picture for where you mean please?

rearbeamrefurb37.jpg

I've had a good look round mine & can't see anything wrong.

Graham.

Craigb

rearbeamrefurb37.jpg

I have marked up your image Graham

the two green lines are where the cracks where

Craig

Baz

Worth a check then! Thinking about it, it's not really that surprising given the thickness of the metal there, add to a few years of corrosion, and then if using solid mounts too, (obviously not so bad if std rubber) thats quite a bit of strain going through there!

Henry Yorke

Never underestimate the rubber mounts if in good nick and genuine Peugeot ones!. Otherwise it is like strapping your beam straight to your shell. I also think you lose a lot of the progressive nature of the handling with a solid rear mount.

pug_ham

Thanks Craig, I thought that was where you mean't but I couln't see anything on mine.

I'll jack the car up again tomorrow & have a better look.

Mines on group N rear mounts so it still has some give in unlike group A ones.

Graham.

pug_ham

I've had my car up on jacks this afternoon & even had a pry around with a big screwdriver but I can't find any movement. :(

On mine is it only started happening after I fitted my 24mm rear arb. :wacko:

I've got a couple of the rear links from old beams so I'm going to clean two up & get a mate to weld them up underneath & hopefully fit them either later tomorrow or on Saturday just to see if it was them on mine.

Looking at one off the car they are formed in a U section so from underneath there is no weld holding them together.

I'll report back any findings after I've swapped them.

Graham.

post-71-1194543035_thumb.jpg

ifcho

Maybe worth making some U-shaped plates, to go instead of these ones. Then you can just put the hole for the bolt at the proper place, and there won't be need to bent the arm for fitting the solid mount (if that is the cause of course)

Miles

I've also seen from uprated damper's it tends to make the top Damper hole go oval so it's worth fitting a suitable washer in the hole too and welding it on

Sign in to follow this