• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainP

Stalling And Not Responded To Throttle

CaptainP

The CTI is causing me a small amount of grief again.... when I first bought it, it would turn over fine but every now & then fail to start. Seeing as I wasn't using it much due to restoration work I would go away and do something else, letting it settle down then it would start - no bother! Last weekend it died on me well approaching a roundabout, all the dash lights stayed on but it just wouldn't respond to throttle, then conked out completly. Restarted on the key, drove 40 miles home just fine. This Sunday I took the car out, once again after about 35 minutes of driving, approached a crossroad same fault she died.

Any clues?

Cheers

simonb

two initial thoughts - ignition amp getting too hot £25 or fuel pump relay fault £20 from ebay. Both of these items tend to be noticeable after periods of driving rather than on startup. Failing that give every electrical connector in the engine bay (especially the brown multi-plug and afm connector) a good clean with some switch cleaner.

Rob_the_Sparky

Well I've expeerience the ignition amp and they do give an intermittant type fault but mine started to kangeroo intermittantly before giving up the ghost completely. Once it died it wasn't about to come back to life either so my gut reaction is a tachyometric relay or fuel pump issue. (The tachy relay turns the pump on).

Hte wire from the dizzy to the ignition amp can also cause problems but generally an all or nothing on this. E.g. runs fine and then cuts out completely, no warning, no second chance, do not pass go!

DamirGTI

another vote for the ignition amp. :)

Cheers :angry:

Damir

205gtichris

i had exactly the same problem on my 1.6 gti , it turned out to be a faulty fuel pump

CaptainP

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have another Tachymetric relay & ignition amp here to try. Are the Phase 1 Tachy's & Ignition amps interchangable with a Phase 2?

Thanks

Steve

danpug

Couldn't say for definite but i'd say yes.

steve@cornwall
Couldn't say for definite but i'd say yes.

Can you swap from the gti to the cti? - yes :wacko:

CaptainP

Okay, so I swapped the Tachy - took her out for a trip, seemed fine. When I got home I heard what sounded like an electric motor whirring, investigated a bit and it's the petrol pump. Disconnected the battery and reconnected it, pump was still going. I disconnected the Tachy & plugged my old one back in and there was no whirring. I know the replacement Tachy is fine as it's come out of a working car. Any ideas????

Sign in to follow this