• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Moving The Fuel Filter

GLPoomobile

I really didn't want the hassle of moving my fuel filter to in front of the suspension turret (especially as I was thinking of moving my washer bottle there), but after the cocking about I had at the weekend removing the old filter I'm having second thoughts. One of my brakelines is curved over the top of the filter making it difficult to get out, and there wasn't much play in the lower fuel line to get a spanner on to undo the banjo. I got it out in the end but not looking forward to fitting the replacement.

So, if I do decide to move the filter, roughly how much fuel line do I need to go from the metal pipe at the bottom of the engine bay to the inner wing? And what bore fuel line do I need? Oh, and is it connected to the metal pipe with a standard fuel hose clip or is there some other type of fastener used?

I could have found this all out myself but didn't have the time to jack up the car and piss about. Sorry :lol:

yorkshirekowboy
I really didn't want the hassle of moving my fuel filter to in front of the suspension turret (especially as I was thinking of moving my washer bottle there), but after the cocking about I had at the weekend removing the old filter I'm having second thoughts. One of my brakelines is curved over the top of the filter making it difficult to get out, and there wasn't much play in the lower fuel line to get a spanner on to undo the banjo. I got it out in the end but not looking forward to fitting the replacement.

So, if I do decide to move the filter, roughly how much fuel line do I need to go from the metal pipe at the bottom of the engine bay to the inner wing? And what bore fuel line do I need? Oh, and is it connected to the metal pipe with a standard fuel hose clip or is there some other type of fastener used?

I could have found this all out myself but didn't have the time to jack up the car and piss about. Sorry :)

now mate

ive just moved my filter to inner wing where the jack meant to be as im doing a mi converstion and wasnt happy with the clearance and as you said hard to undo bango at the base, im using 7.6mm fuel pipe and used about 3 metre's so that length to the top of filter to the feed for the fuel rail, length to the bottom of filter to metal pipe, and the fuel regulator back again to other metal pipe, so in all about 2.6 metres, but where i got it from sell it per metre.

hope this helps :lol:

oh maybe you could help me :( , where did you relocate or power distrubution box located on the slam panel on the pass side, so air filter can be fitted in, also where did you locate your ignition amp?

danny

Edited by surferkid205

GLPoomobile
now mate

ive just moved my filter to inner wing where the jack meant to be as im doing a mi converstion and wasnt happy with the clearance and as you said hard to undo bango at the base, im using 7.6mm fuel pipe and used about 3 metre's so that length to the top of filter to the feed for the fuel rail, length to the bottom of filter to metal pipe, and the fuel regulator back again to other metal pipe, so in all about 2.6 metres, but where i got it from sell it per metre.

hope this helps :lol:

oh maybe you could help me :( , where did you relocate or power distrubution box located on the slam panel on the pass side, so air filter can be fitted in, also where did you locate your ignition amp?

danny

I bought my 205 with the Mi16 conversion done, although not to my standards :) The black box (called the shunt box) is hanging down under the AFM. I could relocate it to a number of places (under the slam panel cos the radiator is lowered so there's enough clearance there, on the inside of the chassis leg, on top of the chassis leg if I move the washer bottle etc etc) but my issue is that I don't have any slack in the loom at the moment to move it anywhere.

Edp

Moving the fuel filter now? joining the dark side eh? :rolleyes:

I moved my 'shunt box' next to the battery, i made a metal bracket and bolted it to one of the unused holes on the battery tray then bolted the shunt box to that. The cables are all long enough and it means its out of the way and in a far better position than hanging down under the AFM! I will take a picture of it and show you what i mean.

Edited by Edp

Sandy

I've started using 106 GTi filters instead, they are a good bit smaller, have tail ends and seem to be ok with ~235bhp on the Trio.

GLPoomobile

Any more answers on what fuel hose I should order and what connection is used between the hose and the metal pipe under the car?

Surferkid said he bought 7.6mm hose. Does it have to be exactly 7.6 mm or can I use 8mm/ I only need enough to go from the metal pipe, up and through the channel near the chassis leg, and round to the filter mounted on the inner wing. I'm not replacing the fuel return line and already have hose to go from the filter to the rail. So how much should I order?

taylorspug

7.6mm hose will be 5/16in. I always get this and its perfect for the piece of pipe you are wanting to replace. It will be available from a good motorfactor as a standard size piece of fuel hose they will have on the shelf. A metre should be enough, but you may want to get 2 in case you go a little over, plus spare fuel hose is always handy. :)

GLPoomobile

Ta Dan.

And can I just fit this to the metal pipe with a normal fuel hose clip?

taylorspug

Yes, cut the old pipe off the union that unbolts from the solid pipe and just attach the new pipe with the correct size fuel hose clip. :)

BuD

I also flared the metal end when I did this as the one with the clip is high pressure and right by the manifold.

Normski

I did this using a 405 filter. It has push on fittings on each end and is the same size as a 205 one.

7.6mm ID fuel hose can be bought from Halfords in one metre lengths, it comes with clips. I used one metre from the metal pipe to the new filter location (in front of the RH turret) and part of another metre from the filter to the fuel rail.

After cutting the end of the metal fuel pipe, I had to use two clips on that end. It didn't seal with just one. (Finishing the end with a bulb is the way to do it if you have that tool)

taylorspug

If you use the standard bolted on end and just cut the old rubber pipe off of it as ive said above (sorry if it wasnt clear) then it should be a ribbed fitting underneath anyway so wont need any modification. :rolleyes:

GLPoomobile
If you use the standard bolted on end and just cut the old rubber pipe off of it as ive said above (sorry if it wasnt clear) then it should be a ribbed fitting underneath anyway so wont need any modification. B)

Well that's a relief, cos I interpreted your previous reply the other way (without having yet got under the car and looked at it), then saw the suggestion about flaring the pipe end. I was starting to think it would be a case of spending even more money on another tool or living with paranoia :rolleyes:

taylorspug

Sorry, my fault! It was clear in my head, but then again im the one thats done it a few times before! :rolleyes:

GLPoomobile

Is that union between the metal pipe and fuel hose supposed to be such a c*nt to undo?

Nice of Pug to put it in such an inaccessible place too :) I've sprayed loads of WD40 on (run out of Plusgas) but the bugger doesn't want to come undone. Really difficult getting a spanner on too as there's no space down there.

Is it a 14mm spanner I should be using? 14mm seems a bit loose, but 13mm is too small. The imperial ones, 9/16 and 1/2 seem the same.

Also, the return hose is only held on with a hose clip instead of a union like the supply hose. I presume the return hose is low pressure and therefore OK. Is that right?

taylorspug

Yes its always tight, bloody thing! Cant remember when i last had to undo one with the motor in the car tbh... Try arranging the spanners so you have both of them in one hand, and closing your hand will undo the union if you know what i mean. Makes it alot easier to do and is ideal for doing it in a tight space.

And yes the return hose is only held on with a hose clip. :wub:

Edited by taylorspug

GLPoomobile

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean about the spanners Dan. Cheers.

If I still struggle I might look at undoing the line underneath the car and pulling the whole lot down so that I can get to the union from underneath with more clearance.

Sign in to follow this