• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

Why Wont My Drivers Side Driveshaft Come Out Of The Gearbox?

Anton green

Why wont my drivers side driveshaft come out of the gearbox? I have done as it says in the gearbox swapping guide to no avail. Tapped it with a hammer too but it seems to not want to move :) any ideas?

I really dont want to try just pulling it from the hub end and hoping it moves

Edited by Anton green

Mikey S
Why wont my drivers side driveshaft come out of the gearbox? I have done as it says in the gearbox swapping guide to no avail. Tapped it with a hammer too but it seems to not want to move :) any ideas?

I really dont want to try just pulling it from the hub end and hoping it moves

anton, it seizes on the intermediate bearing in the lower engine mounting. try using a cold chisel and a lump hammer on the bearing. that usually removes it.

off topic, did you pick up my pm?

mike

pug_ham

Have you tried a decent drift on the intermediate bearing collar to get it moving?

Even with both 11mm nuts on there are undone & turned out of the way if the driveshaft has been on since new they can take a serious amount of force to get them moving. A little more than tapping for sure. I've even had trouble getting them moving at first with a 2lb club hammer.

Don't pull the hub end as that will just split the driveshaft from the inner joint & you risk completely ruining it if one of the roller bearings comes apart.

Graham.

eob

I've done the 'ruined the roller bearings' thing. Worth giving the mount for the intermediate bearing a bit of scrub when you have it out, btw, to avoid hassle such as this next driveshaft change. First time round it can't really be avoided.

Anton green

Thanks all, I'll attack it in a rather more sustained manner tomorrow!

Hi Mike, yes I got your PM! I'm trying to get a fixed date from my mechanic/van-driving friend so that when I ring you I have something to bring to the conversation about when I can pick up the goods!

Mikey S
Thanks all, I'll attack it in a rather more sustained manner tomorrow!

Hi Mike, yes I got your PM! I'm trying to get a fixed date from my mechanic/van-driving friend so that when I ring you I have something to bring to the conversation about when I can pick up the goods!

:) , speak soon.

Anton green
I've done the 'ruined the roller bearings' thing. Worth giving the mount for the intermediate bearing a bit of scrub when you have it out, btw, to avoid hassle such as this next driveshaft change. First time round it can't really be avoided.

Hi everyone.

Long story short, it wont move. The mount has been on about two years and wouldn't have thought it would be this sticky but it's not shifting.

I thought I'd try something else so removed the bolts which hold the intermediate bearing and lower engine mount assembly to swing the whole lot over to one side so I could get the driveshaft out. However with no bolts holding this assembly in place I can only get it to come away from the engine about 10mm before that doesnt want to budge either.

I'm running out of ideas, any suggestions?

28CRAIG

Have you sprayed any wd40 on it yet?

And get a bigger hammer :rolleyes:

Doof

Make sure the intermediate bearing bolts are definitely out and rotated by 180 degrees. Then get a spanner in between the bearing housing and the driveshaft and prise it apart.

taylorspug

As long as the nuts are completely off the intermediate bearing bolts(so you know they will come out!), and they are free and moving, then clouting it is the only way, it WILL come out in the end!

Get a good drift up against the shoulder of the intermediate bearing, inboard of the mount, give it a few whacks, then turn the shaft a bit and repeat. ;)

Anton green

Thanks. Going to buy a larger hammer right now.

Anton green

I bought a larger hammer, soaked it in WD40, hit it repeatedly and got a mechanic mate to cast his eye over it to no avail!

From what I can see there is nothing which may be hampering it coming out but it wont move-Is there another way I can take the gearbox off, possibly by removing the diff??

Thanks..

Edited by Anton green

steve@cornwall
I bought a larger hammer, soaked it in WD40, hit it repeatedly and got a mechanic mate to cast his eye over it to no avail!

From what I can see there is nothing which may be hampering it coming out but it wont move-Is there another way I can take the gearbox off, possibly by removing the diff??

Thanks..

The gearbox will come off with the shaft in place - just almost impossible to get it back on. However, with the 'box out of the way, you can Tw@t the end of the driveshaft to remove it. A length of 4x4 over the end of the shaft will protect it from the abuse.

Sign in to follow this