• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Help Needed With Separating Torsion Bars From Trailing Arms And Cross

Atari Boy

I am stripping a 1.9 beam to rebuild and put on my 1.6. I am using the guide written by Wurzel which is so far has been very useful and easy to use.

I am currently trying to separate the torsion bars from the trailing arms and am struggling screwing the stud from the bars; do they need to move to enable me separate everything?

I have introduced the beam to my new club hammer but it doesn’t seem to do anything.

Have I missed something or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Jonny

philfingers

yes you need to undo the screws (make sure you grease them well when you eventually reassemble!).

It's easier with the beam on the car. take a long (say 5') bar, go through from one side so it's sitting on the inside the trailing arm on the other side of the car and belt the end of the bar with a lump hammer and it sould come off.

you'll need to make sure tho that one end of the ARB has also been undone

Phil

28CRAIG

Spray a load of wd40 then leave them for a while, then you will need a impact driver to have a chance of undoing the screw's then take the offset washers of what can be a bit tight if there not coated in grease.

Atari Boy
Spray a load of wd40 then leave them for a while, then you will need a impact driver to have a chance of undoing the screw's then take the offset washers of what can be a bit tight if there not coated in grease.

I have taken off the offset washers, its the studs with the big grove cut in that I am struggling to move either way.

I don't want to break the grove in them but would a tourque wrench with a big screw driver bit work?

Thanks

Jonny

Jrod

The studs are on the other end to the washer yes?

If so you don't need to touch the studs as long as you have the nut off them.

josh1990

Have you got the ARB out, if not that should help.

Atari Boy

Yep ARB out already. It sounds like I just need to whack it hard to seperate it.

pug_ham

For taking the beam apart all you need to do at the stud end of the torsion bar is remove the nut so the stud can slide though the hole in the end cap when the bar starts moving.

Trying to unscrew the stud acheives nothing except risking damage to the end cap on the tube. (see the deformed one in Wurzels article)

Graham.

M@tt

Also useful is a slide hammer for removing the torsion bars. (£15 delivered from ebay)

Attach a high tensile bolt to the end of the slide hammer, screw it into the torsion bar end(where the offset washer and tapred screw was) and give it a couple of bangs, should come out nicely. Some WD40 or plusgas before hand will also help.

Are you sure your beams isn't really badly seized because you could find that's why the arms not coming out easily. I had that on my CTI beam, i twatted the arm so hard in the end the trailing arm came off leaving the shaft still in the tube cos it was that buggered!!

DSC00370Medium.jpg

Guest Starscream

Give it some heat aswell, that helped a hell of a lot on my 206 road car! seized as fu*k before that!

joey

just belt it HARD mate, it will come out.. doesnt matter too uch if you break the screw stud or the cup as both can be replaced cheaply..

Sign in to follow this