• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eddie bullit

Respray

Beastie
The clearcoat (lacquer) I used was Lechler Acrifan 2000 MS clear, activated with 00 362 slow hardener, thinned 20% with the same 00 741 used in the base.

Unfortunately it's a non-compliant lacquer, so won't be around for much longer, but it's great stuff to work with and leaves a cracking finish straight from the gun:

"Tis a shame - I'm a fan of Lechler in general... however I have recently been working with Du Pont HS clearcoat and I have to say that I am a complete convert. I'm led to believe that this will be around for some while yet. I've just finished an older vehicle in AW cellulose metallic (Ecurie Ecosse Blue) to give an authentic finish and the DuPont clearcoat gives a lovely finish to it with the benefits of modern durability :)

pugman211

whats the Dupont one??? 3800s or 3200s????

Paintguy
. however I have recently been working with Du Pont HS clearcoat and I have to say that I am a complete convert.

Now you're talking :(

I've used a DuPont scheme at a previous employer, and I loved their whole system. Their value shade primers really work a treat, so much so that ICI/Nexa have pinched the idea (allegedly :)) I didn't used their HS clears as it was a while ago, but one of the guys working with me now reckons it's much better than the ICI stuff we're currently using.

A few days in the booth and I've cracked the 6690 though :lol: I was applying it 'by the book', as their tech guy had told us to, but I just couldn't live with the orange peel created by the dust coat/full coat method (gripper & ripper as he described it). I'm now putting on a light but fully covering coat (close and fast), 5 minute flash, then a full thickness wet coat. Goes on like a dream that way :D

EDIT: I've just realised that the last paragraph might not make a lot of sense on here! I've got myself mixed up with a topic on another forum where I've been complaining about ICI's 6690 HS clear, and how rubbish a finish it leaves. Thankfully a little bit of playing around has sorted that problem :lol:

Edited by Paintguy

craig f90

Here, here For dupont :rolleyes: Im with you on this one paint guy. When i first started painting we were on ici products, i had a terrible time on them, disheartening really. Yet our gaffer swore by them. Changed jobs. And we are using DuPont products :)

craig.

de Noir

eddie, check out paintguy's lovely black matte bumper finish.. way to go, young man! :rolleyes:

eddie bullit

Already have mate ... looks like he does a top job. just wish he could of fitted my little baby in for its respray :huh: . I think I could have been assured of a top job.. maybe next time eh paintguy?? :)

eddie bullit

With regards to the bumper / arches etc..has anyone used forever bumper dye or similar and what results have you had?

The trim on mine is in vgc. overall apart from the front bumper which has suffered from fade. Would prob. prefer to treat them with something like dye , if it works, rather than refurb them when they are preety good.. no scuffs / scrapes etc..

cheers

Arahan

So whens the car due to be finished getting resprayed then mate? Im eager for a look! ha!

eddie bullit

hopefully by the end of next week Arahan. I'll post some piccys when she's back. When all the trims back on we'll meet up seein as youre only up the road from me .. cheers :huh:

Arahan

Nice one mate, sounds good!

McPikie

I use some s*it called "black trim wax". It's like tar, but my god does it do a good job. I am, however, just going to paint mine satin black, d=save me the hassle

Arahan

You got the car back yet mate??

eddie bullit
You got the car back yet mate??

not yet mate hopefully next week..dragging their feet :)

Paintguy
not yet mate hopefully next week..dragging their feet :)

Never rely on a bodyshop to give you an accurate ETA :D

Looking forward to seeing the end results though mate.

jord294
Never rely on a bodyshop to give you an accurate ETA :)

Looking forward to seeing the end results though mate.

i can agree with that. my 309 gti has been in the paintshop for over 12 months :D

just aswell i'm not in a rush :D

Guest Snelly

On plastics, I use Autoglym Bumper Care. It looks like fairy washing up liquid, but works a treat, restoring any colour plastic back to its original shade. I find for poorly faded plastics it takes a few applications over a few days to soak in properly... then it lasts quite a few months before it needs wiping over again with some more. Dead easy to use...

Edited by Snelly

toddydal

wurth do a good bumber dy in dark grey and its the best iv used,i try'd a little bit on my leather seat and that was months ago and it still looks good

danpug

Any new pics yet?

Sign in to follow this