• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Turn-in Feels Different For Left And Right Corners

Dave_McC

I've got a 1990 1.6 gti which I've had for about 4 months now - 93k miles. It drives straight and true with no pulling to either side and tyres are all good. However, it feels much more eager to turn in to right hand corners than left - quite a noticeable difference when you're chucking it around.

Any ideas on what to look for / check to correct this? I'm going to be replacing the rear beam (with a 309 one) and also the front hubs, wishbones and shafts for 309 ones - so if it's any of these hopefully this will cure it. But I'd quite like to sort it out in the meantime.

Cheers

Dave

pug_ham

Very possible oval front hub balljoint holes if it feels to adjust its line mid corner when the weight transfers to that side or a worn balljoint hub bolt can allow a little movement. (new ones should be used everytime the wishbone is replaced.)

Graham.

Dave_McC

Graham

It doesn't feel like it changes its line mid corner - it's more that the turn in on right handers is nice and crisp - "instant" - whereas on left handers it's a bit more ponderous to turn in and seems to then understeer much more readily. It's running on good Goodyear Eagle F1's all round and pressures are ok.

Dave

Guest smokinslim

Check the turning circle at low speeds. If theres a noticable difference i.e. one way turns tighter than the other, then its possible that the track rod ends are unevenly adjusted. Just a thought...

t16ryan

Check the rear beam, are the wheels straight on the rear?

Dave_McC

Eyeing down each side of the car, it looks like on the left side the camber of front and rear wheels is near identical (both looking like very slight negative camber - but it's difficult to tell) and on the right side the front wheel definitely appears the front wheel has more positive camber than the rear. Can't tell whether it's the front or rear which is out, or which side is right.

Will probably try to get it on a flat surface and use a spirit level to try to check consistency of camber for the rear wheels and front respectively to see which one is out - I can then investigate further.

Dave

Rippthrough

Bent droplink?

Dave_McC

When you say droplink, do you mean the link that connects the antiroll bar to the front wishbone? Struggling with how this would cause this effect.

I'll have a better idea where to look when I've had a chance to measure it up, but initial thoughts are knackered wishbone bushes / balljoint, bent wishbone or strut, damaged / knackered rear beam. It's only a small effect so I'm not too desperate to identify it, but now I've noticed it....

Rippthrough
When you say droplink, do you mean the link that connects the antiroll bar to the front wishbone? Struggling with how this would cause this effect

Yep, if one is bend it'll preload the arb one way or the other....

Sign in to follow this