• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest adrian1987

1.9 Rear Discs On A 1.6?

Guest adrian1987

Hey I'm new to this and i've already done a search for this and found no certain answer to my question....

Is it possible to fit 1.9 rear discs to a 1.6 beam? and is it really worth converting the drums to discs? I know that discs dont lock up as easily on rear wheel lift when cornering hard, but other than that is there really a benefit on a fast road car?

My newly bought 205 is a 1.6 with a 1.9 engine fitted, with a 4 branch manifold, full stainless and KnN. Would rear discs really be neccessary for this kind of power?

Jrod

Yes it is possible.

I find discs soooooooo much easier to work it it was worth it just for that.

I have for sale all the parts you need to covnert a 1.6 beam to a 1.9 one, I've only taken them off as i have to swap back to drums for my rallying rules.

Guest adrian1987

I have to admit drums have always been a pain to work with no matter what car theyre on.

How much you asking for the parts, and what parts are they?

Do they really help stop the car any faster?

Jrod

I don't think they stop the car any faster as most of the braking is done at the front, they might last longer though as they don't over heat like drums can.

I'm after about £100 as its all in good condition. Thats good calipers and discs (with uprated pads iirc) Nearly new handbrake cables, stub axles, hubs... it's everything you need except brake lines, I can even supply the copper brake lines and you can just buy some flexi ones from a local motorfactor.

pug_ham

One recent topic asking the same;

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=81503

The rear brakes do very little normally so rear discs won't improve your brake performance at all imo & they can cause more problems with handbrakes & uneven brake balance because of this.

Discs on the 1.6 brake system can lock up easier under heavy breaking due to the compensator difference.

Graham.

SAMSMITH
I don't think they stop the car any faster as most of the braking is done at the front, they might last longer though as they don't over heat like drums can.

I'm after about £100 as its all in good condition. Thats good calipers and discs (with uprated pads iirc) Nearly new handbrake cables, stub axles, hubs... it's everything you need except brake lines, I can even supply the copper brake lines and you can just buy some flexi ones from a local motorfactor.

if he doesnt have them i am interested

dean

I HAVE THE REAR CALIPERS DISCS AND PADS WHAT MORE DO I NEED TO CONVERT MY 1.6 BEAM TO A DISC CONVERSION

Atari Boy

I also about to go over to a 1.9 beam and brakes on my 1.6.

Is there a way of loosing the lock up issue when going from drum to discs on a 1.6. I understan that there is slightly diffrent systen but what should I try and change?

Jrod
I HAVE THE REAR CALIPERS DISCS AND PADS WHAT MORE DO I NEED TO CONVERT MY 1.6 BEAM TO A DISC CONVERSION

Stub axles, hubs, the thing that bolts onto the arm that I'm not sure of its name, handbrake cables, brake lines.

dean
Stub axles, hubs, the thing that bolts onto the arm that I'm not sure of its name, handbrake cables, brake lines.

will the stub axels and hubs off a 306 fit

Jrod

They are longer than 1.9 ones I think.

Sign in to follow this