• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Power Steering Cooler

philfingers

I'm about to fit a Saxo pump and PAS rack to my 205 rally car.

I've also got a transmission cooler I was going to run in the return. I ran a 309 before with std PAS. I could never really work out whether my it was the steering going off due to PAS fluid temps or the driver going off, there seemed to be a definate drop off in assistance as things warmed up. Fluid reservoir would be too hot to touch for any length of time. I guess this is the same as lower oil pressure in a hot engine.

So I'm thinking a cooler will help.

I run a TranX LSD, which snatches, if I run without PAS I feel like i've done a couple of rounds with Tyson!

Anyone got any advice, experience etc?

Phil

vern

The cooler for the pas is a loop of tube that goes under the car and is about .5 meters long. It is in the low pressure return to the fluid tank.

well at least that is what is fitted as standard and I have never had probs with temps, and I am running a turbo!!.

Hope the link works but shows what should be there.

http://stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/4/40H10A.HTM

brumster

Just as a note (and Phil and I have discussed this already via PM, but for 'completeness'....) I've ran the rally car without the metal loop and don't notice any drop in pressure myself; I wonder if maybe it could be that the existing pump is a bit 'marginal'? Or heat soak from some other heat source (exhaust, for example)? I did wrap all the rear-of-engine hoses with some 'heat shield' (which is in fact old inner firemans' trousers; a trick I learnt from my kit car days!) which may have helped a little, I guess....?

philfingers

There wasn't a cooler like that on the 309 for definate and that was a std setup. Rallies use a lot of steering Vern so the fluid gets a whole lot hotter than when you're using it hard on a normal road. You've got a lot of tight turns and the PAS is fighting the diff too. I know some car's use some form of cooler, many like the one you've described. I'll plan for the cooler, see how it works out. The cooler was an auto transmission cooler off a Merc, brand new for about 20 quid i think.

Phil

Edited by philfingers

vern

Could you not get a small mocal cooler or similiar mounted in the front, and run the return through that?. Looking at the parts book 309 have that loop listed, maybe its just not fitted to all models.

Ryan

A bit of copper pipe wrapped round a coolant hose, or coiled up and put in fromt of the rad would probably be good enough.

Automatic ranger rovers have a nice gearbox cooler you could use too, maybe stuck in front of the rad somewhere:

Edited by Ryan

Chris H

i have a small -6 cooler similal in style to the one pictured above which i'm planning to use on my 309.

I have found the steering go off on a long twisty stage and hopefully this will help, i havent done the PAS installation yet though so i havent got any pictures.

Sign in to follow this