• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rally Slag

Battery In Boot Question (done A Search)

Rally Slag

i have searched this but cant find an answer. Im fitting a red top battery in the boot of my 309, i've sorted the earths from battery to body, then from body to engine, thats all done, i gota run a positive through the car now, i now where to run it etc but im not sure where to connect it up the other end, obviously im only running one cable though the car so where did you guys connect your live cable to and then how did you get another permanent live to the starter motor?

Ryan

I think the normal way is to connect the long cable directly to the starter, then have a couple of short lengths from the starter to the alternator and fusebox.

GTI6BOY

i was going to ask the same thing. I think people mount a terminal block on the battery tray then have a couple of lives coming out the other side?

any pics would be greatly appreciated

engine killer
i was going to ask the same thing. I think people mount a terminal block on the battery tray then have a couple of lives coming out the other side?

any pics would be greatly appreciated

i have a terminal block mounted on the battery tray as mentioned. the donor terminal was from a BMW. will post picture later.

DrSarty
i have a terminal block mounted on the battery tray as mentioned. the donor terminal was from a BMW. will post picture later.

I'll be doing this soon, and figured the best options were to simply fix a power distribution block to an inner wing or the underside or front of the battery tray. It must of course be isolated from the car's body, perhaps by way of a rubber block or bush!

The thickness of the cable you're running front to rear, will dictate what type of connector you'll be able to fit to the end of the cable which in-turn will dictate what type of 'distrubution block' you'll use. For example, standard Pugs & Citroens use a plastic shrouded distribution block, with a thick battery clamp terminal going in one side, to 2 or 3 large male spade connectors in a plastic shield. You could reuse one of these or as someone mentioned earlier rummage in a scrap yard for a similar/better option from another make of car.

For me, considering I'm running 4 guage (thick as your thumb) cable, I'm going to mount an -isolated from chassis- bolt, of similar size to a battery post, to receive the rear to front cable and allow redistibution to solenoid & the car's loom etc just as if the original battery post was still there. The goal for me is to keep cable resistance down by using thick and as short as possible cable, crimped and soldered connections and excellent chassis and engine earths to ensure maximum engine spinning even in the cold winters.

DrS :)

pugpete1108

i did the same , got a bloody thick power cable and a distribution block from a bmw (battery mounted in the boot on this model i think it was an m3)run this through a cut out switch and mounted the distribution block on the passenger inner wing then just connected everything back up to this.

tom_m

yup, i've got a terminal mounted on the bat tray with the usual positives coming off there to the fuse box and starter

Rally Slag

can any of you peeps post up pics of your distribution blocks fitted? i want something nice an small and tidy, like smaller than the size of your hand, idea is to tidy the engine bay up and get as much crap out the way as possible. Thanks for helping

engine killer
can any of you peeps post up pics of your distribution blocks fitted? i want something nice an small and tidy, like smaller than the size of your hand, idea is to tidy the engine bay up and get as much crap out the way as possible. Thanks for helping

hopr these will help

engine killer

with cap opened

engine killer

and the battery

kaich
and the battery

I moved my battery in the boot just a few time ago, it is a useful thing :lol: more free space under bonnet :rolleyes:

engine killer
I moved my battery in the boot just a few time ago, it is a useful thing :lol: more free space under bonnet :rolleyes:

more room under the bonnet so that you can fabricate a big airbox to feed the engine. or you may say for better weight distribution because the heaviest corner is the front right.

Rally Slag

how do the battery cables connect to that bmw terminal block. Do they have bolt on fixings like a standard earth strap for the pug gearbox or some other sort, thats the kinda thing im after though, thanks

Sign in to follow this