• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

1600 Auto Choke Problems

steve@cornwall

Been offered a '91 1600 auto at silly low money! I've done a few minor jobs on this car over the last 3 years as it lives in a garage a couple along the block where I rent mine It's a topaz 5 door with only 81K and has been pre- moted, needing only a back box - but the lady is going to give up driving in favour of her free bus pass - so it's mine for the price of the pre mot and new rear number plate she had fitted!

Biggest prob is that the choke doesn't turn off (I've cleaned all the contacts but no dice!) so does anyone know if these have a common problem, or is a manual choke conversion available and feasible?

It did pass mot emissions last year with this problem, but the car will probably go to a girl my wife works with (who can only drive autos) She's had a bad run of luck and would have the car for what it stood me in at with a new mot, so don't want to pay out too much! and present fuel costs and warm starting difficulties would not be good.

Sign in to follow this