• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

1.6 Gti Idling Issue

Doof

Sorry to stick another of these topics up but i'm totally stumped with my cars god awful idling issues.

Basically, hot or cold it will not idle for toffee. Sometimes it does for 10 seconds or something but then it'll go back into its routine of wavering between 1500 and 500 before eventually stalling. Some toe and heel practise is all well and good but this is taking the piss.

So far i've replaced:

dizzy cap and rotor arm

Leads

AFM

Water temp sensor on the sad

TPS

SAD tested and is working ok

Can the ECU be the cause?

Just checked for air leaks with the old WD40 test and there doesn't appear to be any.

Please god help me, the MOT is up but i daren't book it in because i know it'll fail on idling emmisions or something.

Lewis

vern

Is the throttle butterfly, free and easy moving, is it returning to stop under spring tension, or can you return it a bit further after it has stopped. Is there any play in the butterfly shaft bearings?.

I had idling problems not as bad as yours, but I advancded the timing and it transformed the idle and performance.

Doof

No play in the throttle at all, seemed perfect when i last had a look. Interestingly the car has seemed to pink for as long as i can remember which says to me the timing is out or there is an airleak causing a lean mixture. Wonder if i should just take it to a garage and get them to time it up?

Russelltp

Have you checked the cambelt timing if it's pinking as well, it could be that its jumped a tooth and causing the problems. Mine has done this in the past and i found that to get it to stop pinking I had to retard the dizzy as far as it would go and it still ran badly. As soon as I retimed the cam and dizzy the idle problem went.

Sign in to follow this