• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
marsy

1900 Gti Wont Start After Long Journey's

marsy

Hi Guys,

Its starting to drive me mad now, because everytime i go for a long drive (say about an hour's or more drive) when i stop the car, and then go to start it back up straight away, it wont start, it wont even turn over.

But if i give it 10mins or so it starts back up again.

Im guessing that something is overheating, and needs cooling down to start the car back up.

I also noticed its worse when we got very hot weather, i only need to be out in it for 30mins and the same will happen.

Like i said it only happens when i stop the car (turn the ignition off) and then try to start it back up not long after, i dont now how many more petrol stations or mc donalds car parks i can be stuck in before i start kicking the thing lol

If anyone's got any idea how to sort it, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks Matt

welshpug

sounds like a starter problem if you say it wont even turn over.

check is all the earths, from the gearbox to the body and to the battery.

clean up the terminals (both earth and live) check the resistance of the solenoid wire, most 205's have had issues with corrosion in the wire and the brown multiplug (if fitted) so it may be best to replace the wire from where it leaves the plugs under the dash by the steerign column right to the starter motor.

when it does it do the earth's and power cables get warm/hot at all?

marsy

Thanks welshpug,

Yea i think they do get warm aswell, It could well be my earth's as i noticed my clock is starting to read a completly differant time when this happens, and also at times when i start the car in the morning.

Sign in to follow this