• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
robbiecfc

Engine Rebuild

robbiecfc

Hi All,

I've decided this years winter project for myself is to do an engine rebuild. Fair enough you all say off you go B) Thing is, while I've taken engines out of cars, changed clutches etc, etc I've never stripped an engine totally and put it back together again. I'm picking up a XU9 8V in a couple of weeks and that shall be my test case. Anyone got any links or howto guides to start me off?

Plan as follows:

> 3 weeks, drive to England, pick up engine

> 3 - 7 weeks, strip, clean, analyse engine, and paint engine block

> 7 - 11 weeks, get relacement bits as needed (gaskets, seals, few improvement bits)

> Week 12 - Put together (Think thats called a dry build)

As i'm a complete novice the digital camera will get a workout and hopefully I'll be able to catelogue my triumphs and more probably my failures.... and maybe make an article out of it.

Baz

There's probably already a guide on here somwehere, if you've already searched apologies!

Budget between around £3-400 for parts alone. Give or take a bit on depending factors. Crank regrind if needed, thought about having any extras? Lightened & Balanced bottom end etc?

robbiecfc

Hmm,

Extra's I've thought about..

Baffled sump, my mum had a 405 GTX years ago that I could make the oil light flash at will (I was learning to drive at the time :) )

Balanced bottom end a definite though with a lightened flywheel and uprated oil pump spring

Forged pistons? Dunno are they really needed?

The head I will do myself I think

Stronger valve springs and a light porting of manifold and inlet ports (will plagerise from photos of other professionally done heads) or might get a head done by someone else and try an copy it myself with a dremel!!!

Will keep standard cam for the moment but get one of those vernier things to help with timing

All the rest will be standard consumables... gaskets, bearings, seals, tensioners and water pump

If I can do that and start it I will be chuffed to bits

205 will then get a respray and new trim to celebrate along with a bottle of Bushmills 16 for myself

After sobering up:

I will drive it for about 3 months and start thinking about the following:

DTA S40 EMS

Jenvey throttle bodies

A rally spec Catcam

A new wiring loom! :D

As i'm an programmer / systems analyst by trade i'll spend at least 6 months playing with maps and stuff until i'm totally happy that I've it figured out

There's probably already a guide on here somwehere, if you've already searched apologies!

Budget between around £3-400 for parts alone. Give or take a bit on depending factors. Crank regrind if needed, thought about having any extras? Lightened & Balanced bottom end etc?

robbiecfc

Been looking at adding to the tool collection...

Has anybody any experience with ASTTools? Is their stuff any good?

Thinking of getting the AST4360A kit for timing etc, etc

Pure overkill for my first build or a godsend?

djinuk

I will be watching this closely buddy

edthedrummer

In the same shoes as you, except i've rebuilt a little before. Just looking into what tools i will now need, don't know if it'll help but i'm looking at

engine stand

valve spring compressor

dial guage for TDC etc

Spark plug sockets, what size?

Valve grinding paste

Valve grinding stick

Engineers/micrometers blue

Micrometer and vernier caliper, preferably digital, but not too fussed.

Torque wrench.

I thought this was going to be fairly cheap!

robbiecfc
In the same shoes as you, except i've rebuilt a little before. Just looking into what tools i will now need, don't know if it'll help but i'm looking at

engine stand

valve spring compressor

dial guage for TDC etc

Spark plug sockets, what size?

Valve grinding paste

Valve grinding stick

Engineers/micrometers blue

Micrometer and vernier caliper, preferably digital, but not too fussed.

Torque wrench.

I thought this was going to be fairly cheap!

It'll be cheap next time round. :wacko: Have most of that stuff already with exception of dial guage, micrometer and vernier caliper... think I'll go old skool with that stuff, none of the fancy digital business.

Anybody know where I can get the Payen gaskets / seals / bearings kit for a 1.9?

welshpug

buy a haynes manual, prefferably the Workshop version (only available second hand) they're pretty damn good for engines.

robbiecfc
buy a haynes manual, prefferably the Workshop version (only available second hand) they're pretty damn good for engines.

There are a few up on Amazon at the moment so I'll get one of those. Thanks for the tip. Seeing as nobody ventured an opinion on the ATS stuff I gather that they are not worth looking at or else everybody here makes their own tools :lol:

Normski

The Haynes manual is a definite, it takes you step by step.

The tools you put up are not necessary, the book will tell you what you need to do the job.

robbiecfc
The Haynes manual is a definite, it takes you step by step.

The tools you put up are not necessary, the book will tell you what you need to do the job.

Cool as. Should be fun. Thanks for replies.

robbiecfc

Excellent. Cheers for the link.

I keep hearing / seeing Payen gaskets being mentioned. Does anybody know of a site that handles online sales and does the Payen rebuild kit with gaskets / seals for a XU9?

newdean0

As well as tools it's worth getting lots of small storage containers and labels to keep all the bits in.

Digital camera to take photo's of stuff as you take it apart.

A large flat and very clean worksurface.

Compressed air supply is very useful for cleaning off parts before assembly.

28CRAIG
Excellent. Cheers for the link.

I keep hearing / seeing Payen gaskets being mentioned. Does anybody know of a site that handles online sales and does the Payen rebuild kit with gaskets / seals for a XU9?

My local engine builders get Payen as do most others so worth checking some where local.

Sign in to follow this