• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

10w/40 Or 15w/40

Ethos

Hi guys,

As title really, the engine is coming up to 130k so was thinking 15w/40 as it's a bit thicker. What are you guys doing?

Also will the difference between 10w/40 and 15w/40 make a big difference in oil pressure? :blush:

Baz

I have always run on 10w40 semi synthetic, whatever the milage.

Atari Boy

works well in mine too, 1.6 156k

flipperthebushkangaroo

not wanting to show my ignorance but would higher pressure not cause problems, sorry i'm a lecky so its a bit out of my league!!!!!

lee-bg

15/40 is for German "beetleS" mate. Stick to 10/40

p.s. i drive mine on 15/50 Motul. Its perfect, but we got hot summer here so its needed

Ethos

Used some 10w/40 semi synth from halfords last night.

Did the sumplug back up and the oil filter was tight... when filling about 8-9 dops of oil came from what looked like the sump seals!

Is this just because it's getting filled back up/pressure. Just worried that there was thicker oil in there and now 10w/40 is finding leaks!!

Also, how the hell do you register the oil on the dipstick? It's so damn clean. Me and my mate were both looking saying "It's there, but wtf is the line!!!!!".

rescue dude
Also, how the hell do you register the oil on the dipstick? It's so damn clean. Me and my mate were both looking saying "It's there, but wtf is the line!!!!!".

It's lovely when it's that clean. :)

Ethos
It's lovely when it's that clean. ;)

If you're not a worrier like me i'm sure it's ace. I was like "IS THERE ENOUGH, IS IT OVERFILLED?!" etc...

:)

Ended up checking this morning and putting the rest in so a full 5 litres has gone in now.

large

Do a search for oilguy. He has covered this ,I think the only difference is the viscosity(spelling) when cold,when up to temp they are the same. :)

edthedrummer
If you're not a worrier like me i'm sure it's ace. I was like "IS THERE ENOUGH, IS IT OVERFILLED?!" etc...

:)

Ended up checking this morning and putting the rest in so a full 5 litres has gone in now.

I think if you've put 5litres in it, you will have overfilled it to be honest, i don't think it needs more than about 4ish litres.

Ethos
I think if you've put 5litres in it, you will have overfilled it to be honest, i don't think it needs more than about 4ish litres.

Haynes says different :rolleyes:

It takes 5 litres mate, been driving around since Wednesday and it's been fine.

edthedrummer
Haynes says different :)

It takes 5 litres mate, been driving around since Wednesday and it's been fine.

I stand corrected. Sorry :)

tom_m

book says 15W-40 so thats what i put in mine :lol:

Ethos
book says 15W-40 so thats what i put in mine :)

What book is that? The book of LIES. :(:lol:

Sign in to follow this