• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Something Has Broken?

Rupertfinch

Hello, I was having a good waxoyl session under the Pug last night when I noticed that the little thingumajig on my shiney new rear brake caliper is snapped in 2.

Couple of questions

1. What is it?

2. Will it's damage result in my death?

Any information welcome. Thanks, Mark.

post-8711-1193332295_thumb.jpg

taylorspug

1- Dont kno, some other sad bastard probably will tho (!) :mellow:

2- No, dont think my car has them fitted, and iv seen numerous others without it or with it broken, so i wouldnt worry as long as the bolts are tight.

hengti

not sure but i think that's some sort of bracket to help reduce caliper flex. got a vague recollection of reading something on here from someone who didn't have those brackets and was having pad binding problems.

i'd replace or repair it to be on the safe side myself

GazRallye

I think they are anti vibration plates, I don't have them on my calipers, but I have the 106 gti setup on the front, they don't bind or rattle, don't think it'll affect the brakes too much if at all.

Anthony

Seen loads of them that have snapped both on 1.6 front calipers and 1.9 rear calipers, with no obvious ill-effect...

Rupertfinch

Many Thnaks folks. Just to add to my meagre knowledge, 1.9 rear calipers are the same as 1.6 front calipers? Although my beast is a 1.6 she came with 1.9 brakes from the factory.

Woo Hoo! Glad their knackered nature won't lead to my death truth is after spending £400 on my brakes within the last few weeks I can't be arsed spending another pound on them!,

However, tried to skimp a little and replaced some weary looking goodridge front hoses for the motaquip rubber ones, pedal does feel more rubbery. So my advice to one and all 'get braided hoses'. Still, the little pug now stops true and hard instead of pulling violently to the left - good news for all pedestrians.

Edp

1.9 rear calipers aren't the same as 1.6 front calipers. Totally different B)

Both my 1900's still have the 'things' fitted but i can't see what they do.

Jrod

They are similar tbh, just 1.9 have a handbrake mech.

If you do fancy spending an extra £1 then I can send you 2. if you send me £1 via paypal. B)

Emmy Seize
2. Will it's damage result in my death?

Not, unless you try to swallow it. :)

I wonder what makes them break, though.

Sign in to follow this