• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Door Lock

Ethos

Ok, I may just be being stupid here. But how the hell do you change the door locks?!!!!

I've got the door card off and theres a smaller hole from where I can touch it.. but because I can see it properly I have no idea how to get the old one off... oh and how to fit the new one!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! I'm going mad here!! :mellow:

Edp

The lock is held in place with a metal fork (3) which slides in and holds the lock in place from the inside. You will also have to remove the metal rod which connects to the main lock. Once you slid the fork out the lock will pull out.

post-3253-1193335896_thumb.jpg

Guest pughardtop
Ok, I may just be being stupid here. But how the hell do you change the door locks?!!!!

I've got the door card off and theres a smaller hole from where I can touch it.. but because I can see it properly I have no idea how to get the old one off... oh and how to fit the new one!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! I'm going mad here!! :mellow:

Hi, I have done one of these last week and they are a struggle. This is how I did it there may be a better way.

Removed the door panel, The window needs to be up for obvious reasons. remove the small door lever, the one you use for opening the door from the inside, there will be a long rod hooked on the back, unhook it. There are 3 other rods, I think going on to the door lock, one to the back of the barrel lock just pulls off, one above that, just pop the clip back and pull out and one to the central locking motor, if you have it you may have to undue the two motor retaining bolts so you can unclip the doorlock rod. You wont be able to get the long rod out untill you have removed the lock from the door. To do this undue the torx bolts that hold the mechanism in place and also the bottom one that secures the window glass guide, you can then working from inside the door pull the lock mechanism towards you behind the window guide and remove the long rod and your out.

Putting it back together is reversal, Long rod on to mechanism first, then feed the lock back in to place, connect other rods, It may be easier to remove the door barrel lock to pop the rod back on there. fasten the mechanism back in the door dont forget window guide then hook the long rod back on to the door handle. Try it from both inside and outside the car before putting the door card back.

Its a good idea to have both door cards off so you can use one side for referance, helps if you have a lead light. Once youve done one there a doddle, it sounds worse than it is. Hope this helps

steve@cornwall
Hi, I have done one of these last week and they are a struggle. This is how I did it there may be a better way.

Removed the door panel, The window needs to be up for obvious reasons. remove the small door lever, the one you use for opening the door from the inside, there will be a long rod hooked on the back, unhook it. There are 3 other rods, I think going on to the door lock, one to the back of the barrel lock just pulls off, one above that, just pop the clip back and pull out and one to the central locking motor, if you have it you may have to undue the two motor retaining bolts so you can unclip the doorlock rod. You wont be able to get the long rod out untill you have removed the lock from the door. To do this undue the torx bolts that hold the mechanism in place and also the bottom one that secures the window glass guide, you can then working from inside the door pull the lock mechanism towards you behind the window guide and remove the long rod and your out.

Putting it back together is reversal, Long rod on to mechanism first, then feed the lock back in to place, connect other rods, It may be easier to remove the door barrel lock to pop the rod back on there. fasten the mechanism back in the door dont forget window guide then hook the long rod back on to the door handle. Try it from both inside and outside the car before putting the door card back.

Its a good idea to have both door cards off so you can use one side for referance, helps if you have a lead light. Once youve done one there a doddle, it sounds worse than it is. Hope this helps

Eh? (sorry) Remove fork - push lock through door and manouevre the plastic thrower with the bar through the hole too. You will get enough room to unclip the lock from the bar - just! clip the new lock onto the bar, push back in place and refit the retaining clip from inside. Gold plated PITA to unclip too many rods

Jrod

Yer it's well an easy job, takes about 5 mins! :mellow:

Ethos
Yer it's well an easy job, takes about 5 mins! B)

Yea, it only took me five (or maybe 2 hours)!

I was slow taking all the door trim off though and finding the right torx! I found it hard getting the clip back onto the bar but managed to do it.

Now have a working drivers lock with central locking- much better!

It's such a simple job now i've done it, but having never done it I was a bit confused :)

humanz

Any advice u can give on putting them back in? Any special compound to use to help seal the lock to the door? I had taken mine out to get the car painted. Now it's painted, i'm looking at putting the locks back in.

Thanx in advance.

Ethos
Any advice u can give on putting them back in? Any special compound to use to help seal the lock to the door? I had taken mine out to get the car painted. Now it's painted, i'm looking at putting the locks back in.

Thanx in advance.

Mine came with a rubber washer so I just used that.

I poked the metal rod out near the hole from the inside and hooked the lock in. Saves fiddling around once the lock is fully in.

Sign in to follow this