• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rich0302

Electrical Knightmere!

Guest Rich0302

Good Afternoon All,

I have a serious problem with my PUG........... Electrics seem to have given up

Solutions I have tried so far include:

1. New battery - 360V

2. New spark plugs - Champions

3. Lubricated and checked all fuel lines

4. There is noise but no movement!

A yellow tipped wire seemed to come lose during replacing the battery, however i think i managed to replace

this at the base of the engine.

I am now at a complete lose end as the engine will turn over and there is a slight spark, plus the engine is not

flooded

Any help or direction would be seriously appreciated

Thanks

Edited by Rich0302

steve@cornwall
Good Afternoon All,

I have a serious problem with my PUG........... Electrics seem to have given up

Solutions I have tried so far include:

1. New battery - 360V

2. New spark plugs - Champions

3. Lubricated and checked all fuel lines

4. There is noise but no movement!

A yellow tipped wire seemed to come lose during replacing the battery, however i think i managed to replace

this at the base of the engine.

I am now at a complete lose end as the engine will turn over and there is a slight spark, plus the engine is not

flooded

Any help or direction would be seriously appreciated

Thanks

Swap it and see method would be to swap the ignition amp and tachymetric relay for new or known good ones

Do you have fuel ? First step I would do is to crack open the fuel line at the top of the fuel rail ( careful, any fuel SHOULD be pressurised here) Then crank the engine with the fuel line securely in a container to see if the pump is actually pumping fuel. If all is ok at this point I'd reconnect the fuel line and release the whole fuel rail and injectors. position so that the injectors will fire fuel into the open holes they came out of and crank the motor while watching to see if the injectors are firing.

If all the fuelling seems ok- I'd suspect the ignition amp- if not ok, tachy relay (these are around 50 quid so I would check first, or replace amp and try)

GLPoomobile

Where about in N London are you? I would offer to lend a hand but I'm seriously snowed under at the moment. Not that I'm much use either, but 2 confused heads are better than 1 ;)

Guest Rich0302

Thanks for the Reply Steve,

Only thing is, I really struggle to get my head technical stuff,

Do you know where i might find any online exploded diagrams? or books with technical stuff in?

Cheers

Rich

Guest Rich0302
Where about in N London are you? I would offer to lend a hand but I'm seriously snowed under at the moment. Not that I'm much use either, but 2 confused heads are better than 1 ;)

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that if the solution above becomes tricky!

Do you know where to find any specific diagrams for PUG's?

Guest Rich0302

Sorry forgot to mention that its a small block (1.1) PUG (Not quite made it to GTI yet, first car)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a fuse box diagram, so that i can identify these relays?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks

Guest Rich0302

Checked the fuel line this morning,

sucked out any airlock in the fuel lines and fuel pump working ok.

unfortunately not the injectors (due to 1.1), I haven't made up the PUG rankings just yet.

Thanks

Rich

GLPoomobile

As it's a non GTI I'll probably be even more useless than a very useless thing indeed!

You say the starter is turning yes? So is it just constantly turning with no sign of life what so ever from the engine, or is it even attempting to fire? In other words, is it at least spluttering like there is some combustion going on but not quite enough to get it running?

You said it's not overfuelling. After turning it over for ages are the plugs wet when you take them out? If they are not then I'd assume that fuel is not getting in. Then I'd be looking at the carb if the fuel lines are OK and the pump is not working. (It is a carb model I take it?)

Edited by GLPoomobile

steve@cornwall
Checked the fuel line this morning,

sucked out any airlock in the fuel lines and fuel pump working ok.

unfortunately not the injectors (due to 1.1), I haven't made up the PUG rankings just yet.

Thanks

Rich

Ahhhhh! I'm afraid I have no idea of the layout or fuel / ignition systems used on the 1.1 ;)

You may well get a wider response if you posted "Turns over but won't start" in the TU engine section?

Sign in to follow this