• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Leaks

swordfish210

Whilst i was driving back from Scotland the other week i was driving in a torrential downpour for about 3 hours and after a while my passenger pointed out to me that water was leaking down from behind the dashboard, down the passenger footwell pannel and in to the carpet. Has anyone seen this leak before and do you know where it is coming from/how do i sort it. Thanks

Arahan

Yeah i had a leak exactly the same but i couldn't find where the water was coming from! Then i sold the car and that was the last of it!

swordfish210

hmmm well it's looking unlikely that i'm going to be selling my car anytime in the near future so that ideas out of the window :D

Arahan

Haha! Windscreen seal perhaps??

swordfish210

could be i suppose

Arahan

All i can think of! Either that or a huge rusty hole somewhere! Lets hope not though!!

GLPoomobile

Something I've heard mentioned over the years is a join in the bulkhead that is seam sealed. The sealer can crack and let the water in. I suspect this was the case on my 1st 1.6 GTI of about 6 years ago and also my last 1.6. Never properly investigated it as I think that trying to find the area in question is quite difficult.

There was one blurry photo posted on here of this problem months ago (would be hard to find even if the search function was working!), but I suspect you might have to pull the dash part way out to get to the area to repair the seam sealer.

swordfish210

poo :P . I didnt want to have to remove the dash, but i suppose it's the only way i'm going to find out where it's leaking from. I should probably renew the heater matrix as well as thats starting to drip every now and again :o Thnaks guys

Sign in to follow this