• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Changing Oil, Fuel + Air Filter

Ethos

Hi guys,

Planning to change the oil in the next few days (it's munched 1/2 litre in the last 3 weeks!).

What will I need? The oil, oil filter and I remember reading a washer that you can only get from pug?

I was going to get some castrol high mileage 15w/40 for like £16.

Sorry, i'm sure this is very simple and covered loads of times!

Also tempted to change the fuel and air filter, how much can I pick these up for and where?

Thanks in advance.

Mikey S
Hi guys,

Planning to change the oil in the next few days (it's munched 1/2 litre in the last 3 weeks!).

What will I need? The oil, oil filter and I remember reading a washer that you can only get from pug?

I was going to get some castrol high mileage 15w/40 for like £16.

Sorry, i'm sure this is very simple and covered loads of times!

Also tempted to change the fuel and air filter, how much can I pick these up for and where?

Thanks in advance.

try gsf or euro car parts for all your bits. oil filters are around £4, air filter's are around £6 and a fuel filter will be around £12. for oil i would use some total 15w40. sump plug washers are around 50pence and there available from almost every motorfactors.

Ethos
try gsf or euro car parts for all your bits. oil filters are around £4, air filter's are around £6 and a fuel filter will be around £12. for oil i would use some total 15w40. sump plug washers are around 50pence and there available from almost every motorfactors.

Thanks mate and awesome quotes, just rung up mill auto.

Fuel filter - £11.74

Oil filter - £2.43

Air filter - £6.79

Sump plug + washer - £3

GTX high mileage 15w40 - £17

£40ish for a full service can't be bad!!!

Rob_the_Sparky

Welcome to Pug 205 running costs - parts cost = bugger all, labour cost huge unless you do it yourself then bugger all as well (just fewer spare weekends)

Ethos
Welcome to Pug 205 running costs - parts cost = bugger all, labour cost huge unless you do it yourself then bugger all as well (just fewer spare weekends)

Yea, loving it! It's the girlfriends car, but i'm treating it as my own.

Going to plan to do all this after work on Wednesday! Should be enough time...

Estimated time for someone who sucks at this? :)

damo
Yea, loving it! It's the girlfriends car, but i'm treating it as my own.

Going to plan to do all this after work on Wednesday! Should be enough time...

Estimated time for someone who sucks at this? ;)

I have just done my 1.9 in say 2 hours

Jack up and drop the oil out remembering to keep the filler cap off (After a quick run the thin the oil down also).

Whilst this is happening I did my spark plugs and air filter.

Moved on to the oil filter and replaced that.

Top up with 1L of oil and check for oil leaks from the new filter and sump plug. If ok, put in another 4L in. Job done.

Run the engine for 2 mins.

Swap over the fuel filter 15 mins max and pump the fuel back in before starting her up. (I put the original one back due to the tick over etc being way out. suspect my timing, fuel mix etc will need changing as the new filter ran rich on mine.

I also did the anti freeze etc by draining the fluids. 2.5 L anti freeze and fill up with water. giving a 50/50 mix.

personally i wouldn't bother with the fuel filter ?

Ethos
I have just done my 1.9 in say 2 hours

Jack up and drop the oil out remembering to keep the filler cap off (After a quick run the thin the oil down also).

Whilst this is happening I did my spark plugs and air filter.

Moved on to the oil filter and replaced that.

Top up with 1L of oil and check for oil leaks from the new filter and sump plug. If ok, put in another 4L in. Job done.

Run the engine for 2 mins.

Swap over the fuel filter 15 mins max and pump the fuel back in before starting her up. (I put the original one back due to the tick over etc being way out. suspect my timing, fuel mix etc will need changing as the new filter ran rich on mine.

I also did the anti freeze etc by draining the fluids. 2.5 L anti freeze and fill up with water. giving a 50/50 mix.

personally i wouldn't bother with the fuel filter ?

Cool, thanks for that ;)

Well, the fuel filter is meant to be done every 11,000 miles. Mine looks pretty dirty and old. What can I expect to happen when I change it? My idle is a bit dodgy at the moment was was hoping that it might help a bit.

I've already drained and changed the coolant and spark plugs.

5 litres of oil? Thought the 1.6 took about 3.3l.

Anyone got the figure to hand?

Getting everything from Mill Auto tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Rob_the_Sparky

Nope, 5L is correct. Also if doing the fuel filter be extra careful with the copper washers (one each side of each banjo). The sometimes do not come with a filter but if they leak you get high pressure fuel spraying on the exhaust which can (and has) lead to the demise of a 205. As a result I'll always replace these washers when doing a fuel filter.

Rob

Ethos
Nope, 5L is correct. Also if doing the fuel filter be extra careful with the copper washers (one each side of each banjo). The sometimes do not come with a filter but if they leak you get high pressure fuel spraying on the exhaust which can (and has) lead to the demise of a 205. As a result I'll always replace these washers when doing a fuel filter.

Rob

Ok, not too keen on my girlfriend driving that around with it like that!!

What are these washer, ie what would I ask for? Thanks for the heads up mate.

Just been out and bought all the bits, but can pop out again! ;)

Ethos

I lied, there are four washer that came with the fuel filter, i'm guessing these are them!!!! ;)

Ethos

To add, they gave me a 20mm Peugeot Sump Plug / Washer.

This the one yea? ;)

Rob_the_Sparky

Take a look at the way the fuel lines connect to the filter. The pipe comes into a banjo and a bolt goes through this onto the filter. There should be a copper washer either side of each banjo so 4 in total. The two banjos use different sized washers, take a look and you shoul dsee what I mean.

These are not the sump washer but almost certainly are the 4 that came with the filter.

Rob

Ethos
Take a look at the way the fuel lines connect to the filter. The pipe comes into a banjo and a bolt goes through this onto the filter. There should be a copper washer either side of each banjo so 4 in total. The two banjos use different sized washers, take a look and you shoul dsee what I mean.

These are not the sump washer but almost certainly are the 4 that came with the filter.

Rob

Thanks mate, yea no problems.

Ok, WELL... changed the air filter, fuel filter, retracked the afm, cleaned loads of pipes, cleaned the throttle body and polished the idle control screw.

Couldn't do the bloody oil change because we didn't have the right connector, it's square and not hex. I got a 20mm screw + washer, not sure if thats even the right size!

Also we found a leak from one of the injectors! When sprayed some carb cleaner on it the revs dropped loads so going to get some new o-plugs and fit them soon which should fix the air leak and hence the dodgy idle problems.

Also the compression is now up around 150 since the timing was changed.

This is starting to turn into a pretty damn nice runner!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

steve@cornwall
Thanks mate, yea no problems.

Ok, WELL... changed the air filter, fuel filter, retracked the afm, cleaned loads of pipes, cleaned the throttle body and polished the idle control screw.

Couldn't do the bloody oil change because we didn't have the right connector, it's square and not hex. I got a 20mm screw + washer, not sure if thats even the right size!

Also we found a leak from one of the injectors! When sprayed some carb cleaner on it the revs dropped loads so going to get some new o-plugs and fit them soon which should fix the air leak and hence the dodgy idle problems.

Also the compression is now up around 150 since the timing was changed.

This is starting to turn into a pretty damn nice runner!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Should have given me a call for a sump key!....

Ethos
Should have given me a call for a sump key!....

I was down in Hayle!! Also had loadsa bits off the car so couldn't drive back. Thanks though bud!! :wub:

Going to oil change it next week and fit new o-rings to hopefully top the air leak.

pug_ham
To add, they gave me a 20mm Peugeot Sump Plug / Washer.

Where is the 20mm measured?

The sump plug washer for a 205 Gti is usually 16mm on all but the very late ones which have a 14mm one.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this