• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Riddle Me This?

Kennyb

Ok i've done it, i confess i've made a mess for myself.

Senario :- changed exhaust manifold, one of the bolts was knacked and not going in properly, got another bolt same thread and everything and started tightening it up into hole. As i was on nicking it up.... blam!!!! head snapped off :D:( aaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!

So now im stuck with a blowing noisy manifold and a plugged hole that i cant work out how to clear and fix????

:);)

Any ideas??

welshpug

did it snap off flush with the manifold or the head? if the manifold you should be able to get hold of it with some grips or a stud remover (with the manifold off)

if its flush with the head then you'll have to drill it, and use and easy out or just drill it as far as you can and re-tap the hole.

Kennyb
did it snap off flush with the manifold or the head? if the manifold you should be able to get hold of it with some grips or a stud remover (with the manifold off)

if its flush with the head then you'll have to drill it, and use and easy out or just drill it as far as you can and re-tap the hole.

Most prob its gonna be flush with the head, knowing my luck :(

as for drilling it....its hard enough gettin a spanner round the back and down there let alone enough pressure on a drill to make it work and be able to see :( its there not a contraption that garages have that has like an opposite screw so as you start unscrewin into the headless bolt the contraption screws in with an oposite thread??? :mellow:

Bit like the sockets that remove locking nuts on wheels

Cheers

welshpug

yep, hammer in easy outs, snap on do them, but again it requires drilling.

and as for putting pressure on the drill bit you shouldn't be, that's a common misconception, you let the bit do the cutting for you under light pressure.

Edited by welshpug

Kennyb
yep, hammer in easy outs, snap on do them, but again it requires drilling.

and as for putting pressure on the drill bit you shouldn't be, that's a common misconception, you let the bit do the cutting for you under light pressure.

ahh thats what u mean by easy outs!!! as for drill thing....thats probably why i do paint and body and not mechanicin!!! cheers welsh pug much apreciated :mellow:

welshpug

aaah that may be it! :mellow: I can tell you one thing I cant paint very well but I know how to remove a snapped bolt :(

I'll find some links to useful tools for you.

theres this kinda easy out which requires drilling - 9b8d_1_b.JPG

eeegay! :whistle:

or this type - 45373.JPG which only work if theres an exposed section of stud or rounded bolt, basically a left hand screw inside a socket.

and there's another type which i'm struggling to find a pic for you, but basically anything that irwin or snap-on supply will do the trick but wont be cheap.

edit, found one that will do the trick - 19133.JPG

Edited by welshpug

Kennyb

Top job :mellow: i'll ask MAC chap next time he's round im sure he'll have something similar :( Muchos grassy ass :(

welshpug

Indeed, Mac should have something to do the job, show the guy your problem and he should be able to sort you out.

They all have their stuff from the same factory anyway :mellow: (iirc its Irwin that make this kinda stuff for them all)

Sign in to follow this