• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonathanes

Help Required - Electrics

Guest jonathanes

Hi All,

Last stage of MOT prep now I've got exhaust, brakes and tyres sorted is the bulbs. I thought this was going to be the easiest but it appears there has been a bit of modifying by previous owners to parts of the loom so there are a few cut wires hanging, plugs floating about and new wires with spades plugged into places.

I managed to resolve the non-working reverse lamp (earth) and faulty brake lights (bulb) and have replaced ALL the fuses with new ones, but have now managed to create a new problem in the process...

Indicators:

All the bulbs work and when the hazard light button is pressed, all 6 bulbs flash in normal time. However, when I signal left or signal right, the bulbs flash double time or freeze up in the permanently illuminated position. From experience, a double speed flash is from a blown bulb (open circuit?), but they all work.

If I remove the relay from the fuse board (big black one) then no hazards work, so I am assuming the relay is OK.

I am a bit stuck as to how to trouble shoot this one and don't have a multi-meter so would appreciate suggestions. Would make additional earth leads (wired to body) on all the rear bulbs help?

Cheers, Jonathan

welshpug

sounds like a dead indicator stalk.

Guest jonathanes
sounds like a dead indicator stalk.

:)

It worked before I started messing around with the rear lights - how can I check it I've broken it?

welshpug

see what kind of signal you're getting from the stalk to the relay.

Guest jonathanes

I've checked all the light units and the earths and bulbs are fine.

Can you tell me where the Indicator relay is located (glovebox fusebox position, or other place) as my Haynes manual isn't detailed enough :)

Guest jonathanes

Well, there are only two relays in my fuse box (in the glove compartment) and the smaller green one is for the rear heated window - the push button back light fails to illuminate if I remove it.

So the big black one must be for the indicators...indeed, the hazards stop working if I remove it. I'm still no closer to identifying it as the problem so will go down to my local cruise tonight and try and do a temporary relay swap with another 205 owner...if there is one there.

I have also worked out how to read the Haynes wiring diagrams now :mellow: and they seem to suggest I should have a few more relays in the fuse box...but everything else seems to work fine. Here is a picture:

205_Rallye_Fusebox.jpg

Guest jonathanes

There was no-one with a 205 I could find last night to swap relays with, but I now have a second problem...The brakes lights are no longer working, but the taillights are on really bright.

Can someone confirm the nsr light cluster has a shared earth?

I now suspect that the connector which has been cut out by previous owners ;) has resulted in me plugging live and earth in the wrong way round on the link to the reverse light...unless it doesn't matter :)

So annoying as everything else is ready and current MOT expires on the 23rd :blink:

Rob_the_Sparky

IIRC the rear lights share an earth on the near side and the wiring for both runs to nearside first and then across the back to the off side.

kanyeost
I have also worked out how to read the Haynes wiring diagrams now :) and they seem to suggest I should have a few more relays in the fuse box...but everything else seems to work fine. Here is a picture:

Same number of relays as I have in the Rallye so you're all right on that front I think.

Guest jonathanes

Update:

I managed to get the brakes lights to "work" but they were far too dull and the tail lights were far to bright. At least teh brake lights came on when teh brake pedal was pressed.

I managed to get a loan of a relay from an autospares shop but this made no difference.

As my current MOT expires in two days, I have conceeded and taken it to an auto-electrician B)

I'm quite annoyed I haven't been able to resolve this myself :o not to mention the likely impact on my pocket ;)

rory182

Have you looked at the rear light conversion article on 205gtidrivers.com?

Possible that the previous owner had re-wired the lights to suit a different style? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, just figured it might be something strange like that.

Either way the article may help clarify which wire is what...

Guest jonathanes

Hi Rory,

Yep, I had a look here: http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.php?...=m-phase2lights

My Rallye has ph2 lights as standard and the loom to match.

Apparently, my auto-sparky has fixed it! so it was probably something really obvious....I'm preparring to kick myself when I found out in the morning :)

Will post up, if is not too embarrassing :)

Guest jonathanes

Ok, the fault was with a bad earth within one of the rear light cluster's bulb housings. this has now been resolved and my Rallye now has 12 months of MOT

Yipeeeee!!!!!!!! :wub::lol:

Thanks to all who made suggestions :)

Sign in to follow this