• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ChrisG

Rear Arm Removal

ChrisG

***before I start, the search function has been disabled so I could not carry one out, though I did try :) ***

Want to lower the back end of my pug (309GTi rear beam) but the torsion bars are stuck fast :)

I've heard another way of doing it is to remove the rear arms, but not really sure what to do.

Can someone do me a very quick guide to get me started please :angry:

josh1990

If you need some help chris theres a mechanic at 38, :) i need mine lowerin too. :angry:

steve@cornwall

Hi guys. There's a very useful article on this on the main site, everything you need to know

Stu

In my experience you need a BIG slide hammer to get stuck torsion bars out, i ended up making one with 12.5 kilo weight and 1m slide.

It does have a nasty tendancy to try and pull the car off the axle stands at the same time however.. :angry:

The guide on the main site tells you all you need to know, just make sure you get your neighbours permission before hooking your beam over their wall and hammering the s*it out of the radius arm! lol!

PM me if you get stuck bud, theres also a few peeps on here who are very familiar with the beams, Welshpug, Alastair to name but two.

Ahl

It can be a royal pain in the arse. I used a sledge hammer!

taylorspug

For a basic lowering job you wont need to copletely remove the torsion bars, you can take the arms out with the bars still in them and just refit them 1 spline lower. If its a pain to even get the arm out of the beam tube then the beam is probably seized and therefore scrap anyway. :)

ChrisG

Cheers lads, going to be giving it a go over the next week (between shifts at work) so I'll let you know how I get on :mellow:

ChrisG

Quick update....both arms came off fine and everything looks peachy!

One torsion bar was stuck solid but took it to work and had it pressed out, cleaned everything and greased all bearings.

Other side was fine, no probs at all getting torsion bar out, but still stripped, cleaned and greased it all.

Only prob now is I lowered it too much, but I'll sort that tomorrow ;)

Ahl

Wow! A non-knackered rear beam - thats a rare find! :wub:

pug_ham

Chris, I can bring my dummy shock over on Sunday if you want so you can set both sides the same accurately to any height you want. :wub:

Graham.

Sign in to follow this