• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John_205_GTi

Brake Pipes

John_205_GTi

How much will it cost me to replace the brake pipes to my rear drums?

Anthony

The rubber flexi's or the solid steel/copper pipes?

John_205_GTi

All of it from the servo, all of the fittings have corroded, i had to cut the pipes to get the rear beam off!

Edited by John_205_GTi

Alastairh

Doing it yourself?

I think i paid £65 for all the flexis for my 1.9 back last year, 1 maybe 2 reels of copper pipe (Usually £8 a roll), Bag of unions £3, and flaring kit £25 :angry:

Gives you an idea :)

Al

Edited by Alastairh

jeremy

I had made all the copper brake pipes including all brass fittings made up for my 1.6 GTI about 4 years ago from my local car parts place total cost £32. NB this did not include any rubber flexi hoses.

flick

Sorry to hijack but i'm faced with a similar problem , i'm refurbing my beam and all the break pipes are in a similar condition. All the joints are seized and basically fooked. I basically now have the two pipes coming back with a nipple affair on the end.

I see options as either replace the existing system and where do i get the union parts where they are bolted to the trailing arm.

or

Run a steel braided hose from the end of the pipe to the caliper and cable tie it to the trailing arm.

Which is the best / easiest option ?

Alastairh

The nipples need to be flaired using a proper brake pipe flaring tool, as above said there around £25 for a cheap one, but work, but you'll need practice, and best getting advice off someone who knows how to use one when you try yourself.

Unions, you can get from any decent parts place.

Id advice if undoing old unions to buy a brake pipe spanner from Halfords. Costs £7, and has 11 and 13mm ends, and if you see it in the flesh its a handy tool :angry:

Personally replace them of how Peugeot did them from day one :)

Al

flick

Ok gone the replacing the old method route but quick question. Has anyone a pic of their rear pipe routing. Its been that long since i stripped it all down i cant remember how it all goes back together. Cheers

Sign in to follow this