• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest gt6jim

Oil Around Passenger Arch

Guest gt6jim

My new (to me) 205 1.6 GTi has a lot of oil around the inside of the passenger wheel arch.

I've been out for a blast, and its not new oil as its stone cold.

So I guess the leak was fixed in its past.

What is it likely to be from, and what should I check has been replaced?

Cheers, Jim

crogthomas

Oil or grease?

Check the rubber boot over the CV joint hasent split allowing grease to be flung all over the inside of the wheel arch.

Normski

Could be a leaking damper.

GLPoomobile

I had this on my 1.6 just before I sold it. It looked like oil but on closer inspection it was grease. Could find no sign of a split in the driveshaft gaitor at all. Luckily neither could the MOT inspector :) I did clean it down thoroughly with brake cleaner afterwards and eventually found the tiniest little hole in the gaitor. It's mad how much grease can shoot out and cover everything from such a miniscule hole!

Guest gt6jim
I had this on my 1.6 just before I sold it. It looked like oil but on closer inspection it was grease. Could find no sign of a split in the driveshaft gaitor at all. Luckily neither could the MOT inspector :angry: I did clean it down thoroughly with brake cleaner afterwards and eventually found the tiniest little hole in the gaitor. It's mad how much grease can shoot out and cover everything from such a miniscule hole!

That would explain it, it had new CV gaiters at the last MOT, so I assume the old ones were split!

Cheers Guys!

Sign in to follow this