• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craigp

1.1 To 1.9

craigp

I know this question has most probably been asked a thousand times but Im using the search engine being broke as an excuse B)

I bought a 1.1 style last year as a winter smoker but after looking at the shell it appears it is a little belter so the plan is to buy a 1.9 gti with crap bodywork and swap things over.

Now here is the question :mellow: are the shells the same? will everything just swap over and bolt in place? ie the rear beam and engine etc.Im assuming the best way is just swap everything over fuel tank and all and the loom will need messing with.

Please excuse any stupid questions as it the first time I've ever done anything like this and I really want to give it a go myself,although I do have a friend who is a mechanic who can help WHEN it does go wrong :lol: ,but any tips and hints are received greatfully :D

I know it would be easier just to spend a little bit more and get a mint gti but I want to strip/track the thing so I dont think its worth it and feel this route is better.

pug_ham

The wings need trimming to fit the wheels etc from a GTi without any contact & the engine mounts might be different but it depends on the age of your 1.1.

Suspension mounts are all the same but the front subframe is different between the two so that would need swapping.

Its far better to get a 205 GTi to start with though as there are loads of little things that would need swapping to change the 1.1 into a full GTi & buying a duff GTi for the swap will most likely work out far more expensive than it would've been to just buy the GTi first..

Graham.

craigp

thanks for the help mate :P fair enough it may seem alot easier just looking for the right GTi .Quickest change of mind since Gordon Brown :unsure:

M_R_205

its not the most dificult thing in the world, so long as the 1.1 has all the right mounts as pugtorque says, you also need to change the fuel tank fit high presure lines and a fair bit of wiring, (unless you running carbs that is!!! :unsure: )i did it a few years ago and it was a total riot!! the base shell i used was 100% rust free but a bit faded and taty round the edges, suprised many people il put that way!

heres some pics of mine http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...augh/old%20car/

and some of when i crashed it :P

EDIT : oh aye forgot to say if you run 185/45/15 tyres on the gti wheels you can get away with them, if you lower it loads then they may rub..

Edited by M_R_205

pete1986

lol Now thats what you call a sleeper!

craigp
its not the most dificult thing in the world, so long as the 1.1 has all the right mounts as pugtorque says, you also need to change the fuel tank fit high presure lines and a fair bit of wiring, (unless you running carbs that is!!! :) )i did it a few years ago and it was a total riot!! the base shell i used was 100% rust free but a bit faded and taty round the edges, suprised many people il put that way!

heres some pics of mine http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...augh/old%20car/

and some of when i crashed it :P

EDIT : oh aye forgot to say if you run 185/45/15 tyres on the gti wheels you can get away with them, if you lower it loads then they may rub..

cheers for the info your car is exactly the type of the thing I love and why I wanted to keep the 205 style.My previous car was a bog standard corsa with an 2.0 xe engine in it and I love the fact that people must be thinking what the Feck was that lol.

Jrod

Worst bit I'd imagine is the wiring.

Tanks are easy to swap along with beam and subframe.

craigp

btw its a 91 on a j plate

M_R_205
btw its a 91 on a j plate

then im sure the engine bolts straight in, dont worry about the wiring its quite easy.... just time consuming

danpug

You may as well transfer all the gti wiring over, will make things a bit simpler and its not as hard as you would think.

M_R_205
You may as well transfer all the gti wiring over, will make things a bit simpler and its not as hard as you would think.

Yea sorry thats what i ment, i dont think i needed to replace the front or rear light looms though which is a bit of a bonus, but the looms round the dash needed to be replaced and obviously the engine loom

craigp

Brilliant :) Thanks for all the help lads B) as for the wiring I thing I will ask a friend but watch him closely to pick up some tips.

This has all come about from when I had my sierra cosworth and paid £500 to get a few bits and bobs done to get it through the MOT and after discussing it with a few people I really could have saved a hell of a lot of money by doing it myself as it was only basic things.I know this is a lot of difference but instead of asking what does a driveshaft look like and where does it go etc hopefully in the future after this I will have expanded my knowledge quite a bit,plus I always have two good friends who will be supervising/offering help.

Once again many thanks.hopefully I will be starting it just after new year so I will start a project log if any one is interested? :P

M_R_205

sounds good, id like to see it when its finnsihed!!

yorkshirekowboy

yeah mate a project log sounds good, be cool to see it done!! good luck!!! :wacko:

Sign in to follow this