• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainP

No Hot Air!

CaptainP

Hi, I'm sure this has been covered a zillion times before but without the search facility I'm kind of stumped. My fan is pushing air into the car but it's permanently cold. I did notice a pretty foul smell coming from somewhere inside the car and I think it may have been the heater matrix? I have a spare one but don't really wanna replace it if it's not that. I had a head gasket change several months ago and I've not tested the blowers until now, possible air blockage in the water?

Cheers for any help

DaveW

Could try replacing the heater restior, its behind the interior fan unit right up against the bulkhead, its got a white plug with about 5 wires and held in with 2 screws.

Arahan

Methinks it probably is the heater matrix, if you've smelt the smell and theres no hot air coming in!

EDIT: This isn't a sarcastic post by the way! It really does sound like the matrix to me! Just I re-read the post and it sounded really sarcy! So thought I'd better put this on! :lol:

Edited by Arahan

pug_ham

I agree with Arahan, if there is absolutley no warm or hot air coming from the fan even without the fan on is the heater matrix getting hot?

It could have an air blockage if it wasn't bled proeprly but check the two pipes to the matrix under the dash in the drivers footwell to see if they are getting hot.

Best case is that the heat adjusting cable has come undone so its set at full cold.

Graham.

Jrod
Best case is that the heat adjusting cable has come undone so its set at full cold.

Honestly, i'd prefer if I had to replace the matrix than that again!

Was such a pain in the arse as you have to drop the bottom of the dash to get to it or try and remove the control panel and do it all through that tiny gap. What a gay job that was! :unsure:

CaptainP

Just an update to this one:

I took the matrix out yesterday as I still didn't have any warm air. I flushed the matrix through and it was in surprisingly good condition so I decided it was good enough to go back in. Got the car back up to temperature, instantly had hot air through my vents *YAY*. The good news didn't last long though as I took her for a trip and the hot air disappeared pretty quickly :D When I bled the system there wasn't a great deal of water pressure through the bled screw on the top matrix hose. Does this indicate that there's still a blockage/air, or my water pump maybe fuxxored? Or even worse head gasket failure??

I have the diagrams of the coolant system pipes but could someone give me a brief explanation as to the flow of water and how it run's around the system?

Never had to diagnose a problem like this on my little beauty before :)

Cheers

Steve

damien

is the water pump ok? i had no hot air when mine packed up on my gti6

Sign in to follow this