• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest LLL

Lumpy Ride And Down On Power - Advice?

Guest LLL

My car recently had its spark plugs changed before it went for its MOT while I was on holiday (I have a 1992 1.6 GTI).

A mate of mine took it down for its MOT and since i've got it back the car is really lumpy and struggles to pull through the rev range (in all gears). Before the sparkplugs were changed the car was nice and smooth and pulled nicely through the revs in all gears.

Apparently the guy who carried out the MOT used to race 205's and he indicated to my mate that it wasn't running quite as it should (although it seemed fine to me) and he had a little tinker with it. You'll have to forgive my ignorance here - i believe he adjusted somethng in the vicinity of the AFM that required an allen key. In the past when I first bought the car, I have adjusted the idle control valve to get the idle sitting under 1,000.

After a look through a few threads on the forum, this afternoon I took the top off the AFM and re-tracked it. Since then, the car is still lumpy and won't pull very well and its stalled on me a couple of times at junctions which its never done before.

Unfortunately, i'm not very mechanically minded and don't know much about engines (which is why I got a 205 so I could learn!!) so other than checking the HT leads are on correctly and in the correct order, i'm pretty stumped as to what to do next.

To sum up, pre spark plug change and allen key adjustment the car ran fine but now it feels like its got a cold and can't be bothered having a go!!

Any help or advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks people.

PS, it may be my immagination but while going up and down the gears in frustration, occassionally the car seems to pull as normal but if it does, it only lasts for a few seconds then its back to struggling.

Sign in to follow this