• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
laser green 1.9

Beam Ride Height

laser green 1.9

I've rebuilt a beam and have it back on the car it's had new shafts, bearings and front and back mounts, but I've never been very happy about the ride height. It is 330 mm between the shock bolts on both sides with the shocks removed. When the car is sat on level ground I can get 4 fingers between the top of the wheel and the arch. Does this sound right for the standard set up. I know I can lower it but if it is set to standard I'll just leave it as it is. I would have done a search but it isn't working at the moment.

Mick.

taylorspug

They can take a while to bed in and settle. The measurement you used is correct as far as i know, its certainly what i base all my beams on when i reassemble them, and they always seem to come out ok after a bit of running. B)

Edited by taylorspug

Anthony

330mm is a bit high really - 325mm is a better bet for a standard height 205 GTi beam (which will be about 10-15mm lower than you're running now)

laser green 1.9

Thanks for the advice I've dropped the ride hieght down to 322 mm and this looks spot on. I think it all depends on where you measure it from.

Cheers Mick.

pug_ham
I think it all depends on where you measure it from.

Centre to centre of the shock mounting bolts.

I've never set any beam I've rebuilt to 330mm, that distancve ould give a real 4x4 style ride height.

320-325mm is about right for standard front springs imo.

Graham.

laser green 1.9

I set the beam to 330mm from centre to centre because that is what is says on the forum guide and in the haynes manual. Like you say Graham it gives it a real 4x4 stance. :) I've dropped it to 322 from centre to centre and that looks spot on. At least every thing comes to bits easily as I've just rebuilt it.

Edited by laser green 1.9

pug_ham

I can only assume tha the Haynes figure (which, I think Wurzel is where got the stated 330mm in his guide from) is for the base models, even though they give a seperate figure for them also iirc.

Haynes get something wrong, never. :)

Graham.

joey
Centre to centre of the shock mounting bolts.

I've never set any beam I've rebuilt to 330mm, that distancve ould give a real 4x4 style ride height.

320-325mm is about right for standard front springs imo.

Graham.

If this is the case ffor standard springs what would be a goood figure for c. -30mm springs..the beam is standard-19mm TBs ,.Was thinking about 315mm centre to centre. How does this sound??

joe

Anthony
If this is the case ffor standard springs what would be a goood figure for c. -30mm springs..the beam is standard-19mm TBs ,.Was thinking about 315mm centre to centre. How does this sound??

312-315mm is about right for 30mm lowered.

laser green 1.9

Here's my ride hieght at 322mm

post-4257-1192403536_thumb.jpg

Edited by laser green 1.9

Sign in to follow this