• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trickywoo

Passenger Seat To Drivers Side?

trickywoo

To save messing about with new side bolsters cutting and restitching material etc, I was wondering if the wheel / tilt adjustment could be switched around allowing a passenger seat to go on the drivers side?

ccgoose

akaik this would involve dismantling the seat i think, i know you can swap the rails over to put the drivers seat onto the passenger side, just not sure abotu the tilt bit

Edp

It can be done but you will never dismantle the recliner part of the seat as its full of ball bearings and they all fall out if you try to prize it apart ( i know i've tried :unsure: )

If you want a cheap fix you can however bolt the passenger sub-frame to the drivers seat and vice versa which just means the recliner and tilt handle are on the same side. You can then cut the recliner handle off the seat and weld it on the other side. I did this on my 1600 when the original seat was f***ed and I found a perfect passenger one which I adapted.

If you have some cash to spend ask your friendly coach trimmers to swap over the base squab part (the bit you sit on) this then means the squashed part is on the inside of the seat, the bit you never sit on. I had this done a year ago on my half leathers and he repaired the squashed bolster, swapped the passenger for the drivers squab and re-stitched some bits for the grand total of £100. Totally worth it IMHO.

jeremy

I have swapped passenger seats (complete) onto a drivers side metal frame. It is not difficult, just a bit fiddly.

Sad as this may sound I videod my taking one apart showing very clear visual and audio signal on what I was doing and how It all came apart. This made putting it all back like childs play.

You will need wire cutters, hog rings and hog ring pliers or use copper electrical wire twisted together to create the same effect as the hog rings, I also use I think it is called gaffer tape on the top of the new foam bolsters to help make them last longer.

It should take you about two or perhaps three hours on your first attempt excluding taking them in and out of the car.

I was very happy with the end results and to look at you could not tell the difference other than the newly refurbished seats looked brilliant.

GLPoomobile

After all the effort pissing about with subframes etc, you're still better off just replacing the bolster. If you have a donor seat to cut a good bolster from then it's easy, and you don't have to strip the whole seat down to do it.

brianthemagical

i took the cushions of the metal frames and swaped a passenger cushion on to a drivers frame, not sub frame but the internal matel bit, it's the only way.

GLPoomobile

yeah, you can swap whole foam sections (base or backrest) but you are lucky to find whole donor sections with good bolsters on both sides. Replacing bolsters individually is more feasible and easy enough. Stripping down a whole seat is fiddly and irritating, and without practise and a good memory it can be difficult to pin the cover back in place correctly, leaving you with a seat that looks imperfect. This is why I'd recommend the simplest course of action that does not require the entire cover to be removed.

steve@cornwall

Just swap the complete seat and live with the winder on the wrong side. (see my pic in "dirty carpet" thread, you can spot it there . By adding a hole to the trim you can even put the plastic trim on.

Sign in to follow this