• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

Wishbone Failure....

jeremy

Now I know that this seems to be a regular topic, however I wondered if people found that one arm/bush is more prone to failure.

Until recently I had never given this much thought until I had to replace my offside wishbone, for the third time in less than eighteen months. The later two where brand new patern parts supplied by the garage that do my MOTs and covered less than 5K each :D .

I truely believe that the ones supplied from the garage where very poorly made, as it was the same bush both times ie the one connected to the front of the subframe.

The other contributing factor towards these failures I can only assume is down to my driving habbits on two particular roundabouts where LOOS makes the journey wothwile to say the least.

I was just interested to know if others would agree or disagree with me here or not.

Thanks

Jeremy

Alastairh

In my experience with pattern wishbones i personally have used:

They are ok for 5-8k then the bushes need changing, which is a bit of a pig, and you need to be suttle with a chisel and a lump hammer, but i wouldn't shell out for another pattern unit and it'll just go pop again! go to Peugeot and buy some genuine bushes (under £40 a pair) and they should last another 100k :D

Thats what i have had to do on my cars plus a few friends :)

Saying that, i know some people have had pattern wishbones that throw the ball joints, but seems odd ball...

Al

Edited by Alastairh

Rippthrough

My ECP ones on the 306 lasted about 8k before they were shot - al though it was hard use - polybushed them instead!

Pugnut

oe part no 3599.07 is both bushes and bolts to do one complete wishbone and is 17.74 including the vat.

i normally blowtorch the old bushes out and knock the remaining sleeve out with a chisel. they go in nicely with a 6" vice.

oe ones usually last much longer but the biggest contributing factor to thier early failure is tightening the bush bolt when the arm is not it the position it will normally sit with the wheels on the ground.

as with all suspension components , the lower the car is the less time they will last .

jeremy

Thanks for all the responses however what I was trying to find out is there one particular side or particular bush or swivel joint that seems to fail quicker than the others.

Pugnut
oe part no 3599.07 is both bushes and bolts to do one complete wishbone and is 17.74 including the vat.

i normally blowtorch the old bushes out and knock the remaining sleeve out with a chisel. they go in nicely with a 6" vice.

oe ones usually last much longer but the biggest contributing factor to thier early failure is tightening the bush bolt when the arm is not it the position it will normally sit with the wheels on the ground.

as with all suspension components , the lower the car is the less time they will last .

just picked up the bush kit and found for the 17 odd quid it's a bush kit to do both sides (4 bushes, 4 bolts, 4 nuts and washers). pleasantly surprises. very good value for an oe kit.

as for a particular weak area , i wouldnt say i've ever noticed one component bieng a problem compared with others but if you have an ovalled bottom hole on a hub or a worn shock absorber it will lead early failure of certain bushes, ball joints in that area

Sign in to follow this