• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Bouncy Rear End

gti_al

Finally got the 205 out for a proper drive, and was a little alarmed by the rear end. It was recently rebuilt and lowered, and it was getting very upsettled by bumps under brakes and in the corners. We found the exact same thing with another 205 a mate has, so he returned his to standard height... i would like to keep it where it is though.

I think it is about 40mm lower, and it isn't bottoming out - just bouncing off bumps. Shocks are standard, but seem ok. I am planning on fitting new ones shortly, but would like to work out what is going on first. The other car was bouncing worse on new koni yellows.

Has anyone else had this happen when they have lowered 205s?

maturin23

My replacement beam was lowered by around 60mm when I bought it. It handled like a bag of jellied arses.

I've always blamed the Billy Streetline rears, although maybe the excessive lowering didn't help.

Raised it up until I could get my hand between the wheel and arch, fitted OEM shocks and now it's just fine.

nick

It sounds like it is bouncing on the bump stops. I cut mine down to cure this but went a bit too far and ended up with it rubbing the arches (309 beam) After messing about with loads of bumpstops cut at different heights I have ended up with full length rubbers with a cross (X) cut in the top about an inch deep, this stops it rubbing on the arches but softens up the bump stops to stop the "bounce"

I also found out that when I cut them down too far I got no traction at all (way too much body roll) it felt as though I had disconected the anti roll bar!!

A quick test would be to take the bump stops off and take it for a spin, mine was comfortable like this but just didn't handle.

Nick

Edited by nick

gti_al

That does sound plausable. It doesn't feel as though it is bottoming out, but i won't know until i take them out... It had been fine for months in the city anyway - it was just going quicker on some less smooth surfaces was scary.

I'll let you know when i have worked it out.

gti_al

I'm going to investigate this now uni has finished... i want to fit some new dampers at the same time though. Would it be an idea to go to konis or something as the car is a bit lower, or can i stay on pug dampers? It rides pretty badly now, and i don't want to make it worse.

Everyone here seems to favour bilstein, but i haven't found a supplier here.

Sign in to follow this