• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sussex_gti

How Easy Is It Removing Front Wings?

sussex_gti

Mine arn't great, the n/s being dented and the o/s starting to rust around the arch trim hole. I've seen a few wings for sale in the past, and as far as i can see they bolt on from the top, but as for the bottom i'm stuck. Any advise would be great, and a pair of red front wings even better!

Chris.

Baz

they do come off, but are bonded/sealed on around the inner arch. Bolted along the top and inside the door shut. You're not very likely to get them off straight if they are sealed on, hence you don't see many used wings for sale!

ORB

You may as well buy a pair of new wings, they only cost about 15 quid each.

Then get them painted to match, as I bet you will never find wings that are equally faded to your own as red fades very fast depending on the different light conditions.

Used wings will stand out big style

All Praise The GTI

one off the most amusing things ive seen was watching a friend who broke gtis trying to remove a wing for a customer. he spent two hours shouting swearing and sweating before i offered to help!!! :unsure:

clifton

im in the same situation here....how do you think a body shop would charge for changing a wing over?

Alan_M

I've managed to get both wings off an old 205 without damage or creasing.

Used several sharp knives/scalpels to slice through the bonding, then just unbolted it. Came off a treat :)

craig f90

I can rememer a mate saying to me how he spent all of 4 hours carefully removing a gti wing. To be fair to him though, this was back in the day when 205s were fairly new. A dealer part is around £75+ aftermarket wings are £15-£35 each.

I'd imagine £150 to £200 would get you a wing supplied, painted and fitted through a body shop.

A word of advice Every 205 ive came to remove the bumper from, the 13mm bolt has been ceased into the slider meaning ive had to cut them off and renew the nut & bolt to refit the bumper.

Sign in to follow this