• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andrwn8304

Exhaust Manifold Difference

Andrwn8304

Can somebody shed some light on this -

Whats the difference between a 1.6 gti and 1.9 gti exhaust manifold if any?

Edited by Andrwn8304

Ryan

Both the same.

There are some minor changes on later manifolds to make them stronger, but they will still fit any engine.

Andrwn8304

So are the phase 1 + 1.5 and phase 2 all the same? as there are 2 types of exhaust systems, earlier models have a 3 piece system and later ones have a 3 piece system on.

pacey205

Yes they are, the only difference is from the downpipe back, the manifolds are exactly the same.

Michael

Andrwn8304

Thanks guys,

So I need get the phase 2 manifold in order to put the 3 piece exhaust system on!

As mine is, according to the chassis number and the parts catalogue is the later 1990 model of the phase 1.5's

Edited by Andrwn8304

pacey205

No, the manifold dosent change between phases, all that changes is the downpipe and the rest of the system. So both a 2-piece and a 3-piece system will fit on the same manifold.

Michael

Andrwn8304

ok thanks again,

All i need now is the manifold and the exhaust.

pug_ham

For a phase 1.5 car I'd get the later two piece system instead of the earlier three piece one.

It swapped from three piece to two piece during the life of the phase 1.5 anyway though.

Graham.

Andrwn8304

Thx Graham,

Just checked on Bosal website and according to the catalogue and my chassis number it is the 2 piece system.

Why can car manufacturers not keep things easy.

Sign in to follow this